what? floyd rose problems? no.....

eclecto69
eclecto69
01/18/2007 2:24 am
I recently purchased a Jackson DK2M in sterling condition, but, not having any experience with a whammy bar of any kind, i have no idea how to fix (or even if it's fixable) this minor-ish problem: the strings do not change tension at a uniform rate (or anything close to it)
for example: when i pull all the way up, the high E string has raised about a whole tone, whereas the B has gone a minor third, the G a major third, the D a whole tone, the A a minor third, and the low E a (kinda flat) tritone.
what's going on?
can i fix it? :confused:
thoughts and suggestions much appreciated
thanks
# 1
Drew77
Drew77
01/18/2007 5:30 am
I have never listened to my strings while pulling on the whammy bar. That may be how it works... They are all different strings and aren't gonna stretch the same way (i would assume). I don;t think whammy bars are for accurate pitch bending they are for funny tricks and cool screams and such.

I don;t use mine much and personally I think it causes some problems, but damn am I glad I have it when I do use it and then I go right back to using it was a fixed bridge... I can never turn my amp up loud enough to really enjoy it thats the problem.

I could be completely wrong, you don't really have to listen to me.
# 2
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
01/18/2007 6:11 am
A whammy bar will not change the pitch of all the strings by the same amount.
you can generally only stretch one string at a time accurately.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 3
ren
ren
01/18/2007 9:25 am
Yep - the movement of the bridge changes the string tension, and that cannot be compensated.

You'll find that with practice you can whammy more than one string at a time, but you'll have to bend at least one of the strings to get it sounding right...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.