Ice Storm

40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
01/16/2007 4:09 am
Excuse me while I whine a bit.

We've just had one of the worst ice storms in local history here in Southwest Missouri. We haven't had electricity since 4am Friday morning. We are running everything electric from a generator. I had to drive 100 miles to purchase this one. They are out of them every where around here. We have to choose which appliance we want to run. Fridge for a while. TV for a while. Computer for a while. It's supposed to get down to 7 deg F tonight and 3 deg F by tomorrow night. They say it could be anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks before we get electricty again. We have a private well and without electricity, we have no water. At least we have heat from the fireplace. Oh well, I guess this is the way the pioneers used to submit a message to a forum on the frontier. The worst part of it is that we can see homes with electricity a mile away. But they say we are on a different grid. just my luck. well......thanks for listening to my pathetic problems. I know there are people that are worse off than I am even under these conditions. I guess I should count my blessings. Wish us luck.
Favorite quote.....GET OUT THE BEANS!
# 1
guitarfish
guitarfish
01/16/2007 4:34 am
I feel for you. I had a similar situation back in 1997 in Astoria Oregon where we had an ice storm. The power was out for a week with no heat - it really sucks!
Life takes on a whole new meaning and for the most part your helpless.
Hope you get your power on soon!
"Shred with Passion"
Stuck in a rut and not getting any better? - Amazing Licks
# 2
BluesHound9
BluesHound9
01/16/2007 5:00 am
Man that really sucks. I can relate though. When I lived in Kentucky I lost electricity for two weeks. No heat and with electric stove no cooking either. The food did'nt go bad because we just put it outside. and with the roads too bad to drive I had to walk to the nearest convienience store for stuff that I could eat without cooking. It was a rough two weeks but it did give me some gratitude for the things that I did have.
Keep warm and count your blessings. Things could be MUCH worse!
# 3
mmark525
mmark525
01/16/2007 5:12 am
I work for the electric co. in Texas and we sent crews up in the area starting last Saturday and more are on the way today, not much we can do till the ice quits falling because the lines that were picked up some have falling back down. They were told to be ready for a 2 week stay plus there will be 40/50 contract crews up there from our area with probably 100 tree crews to clear things up. It will be a SLOW process because one bad move and safety could be compromised. Just keep in contact with your friends in the area to see who gets power first and bum a shower and stuff from them. Even as an employee it took 8 days for me (Christmas day 2000) to get my lights on because of the damage to my line.
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/16/2007 5:39 am
It's the first freeze of the season tonight for most of Houston (although it won't freeze here on the immediate coast), along with a steady drizzling rain they say might eventually lead to sleet or just freeze on the roads. They're already canceling schools and closing some parts of highways. I'm hoping they'll cancel work tomorrow or the next day. Funny huh...what might be considered a break in the weather to ya'll almost shuts us down.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/16/2007 1:52 pm
I was watching the news yesterday about the ice storm and all the damage its doing. At least you do have some electricity though. The news said that the storm is heading my way, but I think its only going to be a little snow. Hang in there bud.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
01/16/2007 3:18 pm
That really sucks.. I've been there as well, and we live on a private well and septic as well.. and yes it really sucks when you can't even flush your toilet when the power goes out.

When we had the hurricane up here and lost our power for two weeks, I had an electrician fix my breaker panel so I could just flip a switch and plug in the generator and it would run the whole house... except for the clothes dryer and my oven...

One thing i noticed about that whole ordeal, it certainly brought the community together, and it was fun doing stuff that didn't require electricity for awhile. It really made you appreciate what we do have, and how quickly things can be taken away.

Hopefully you will get power soon.... Take care.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2007 5:05 pm
Yeah, I can relate too. Every time there's a storm in this area the power goes out.
As soon as I hear thunder I start getting the candles out and unplugging things.
# 8
acapella
acapella
01/16/2007 5:09 pm
We don't have a power problem, but whenever we get a strong gust of wind the phones go out. Last weekend was incredibly cold though. So cold that my girlfriend from Sask. couldn't get down. :mad: Apparently a bunch of people died in their cars over there though.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 9
strat-man
strat-man
01/16/2007 9:21 pm
That sucks dude :( hang on in there, i feel for ya.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 10
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/16/2007 11:33 pm
heh heh, n00bs, its been in the 70's here in virginia all of last week. :D

forreal, I really dont think we're going to get any snow or even cold weather at all this year.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 11
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/17/2007 2:46 am
That sucks. I'm in Michigan and we had sort of an ice storm but not as bad. The trees look cool though

I was unable to upload the picture I took, but I assure you they look cool
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/17/2007 4:29 am
I was in Ottawa during the ice storm in '98. Two things I remember about those nights: the horrible CRACK followed by a groaning, tearing noise as the trees broke and collapsed under the weight of the ice. And the flickering blue-green glow as transformers in the neighborhood shorted out from the surges on the lines. I still have pictures of the main distribution lines where the towers all got pulled down by the weight on the cables.

My power was only out for a day. With electric heat, it got pretty cold. My parents in Kingston had to wait for two weeks. The little fireplace in their house wasn't a whole lot of help.

I hope you come out of this OK. Drain your water pipes so they won't freeze up and burst. Move into the basement, if you have one. The walls below ground will actually lose less heat than the rest of the house. If your phone works, keep in regular contact with someone who can contact help for you if you don't call at the agreed time. Hang in there.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
01/17/2007 4:52 am
years ago an ice storm hit here....a neighbor 2 blocks from me went to get smokes and his wife was at home, the tree on the hill behind the house was a huge old fir. it went through condo two stories and to the garage on third and lowest level. she was on the top floor. she was killed. he was saved by cigarettes :rolleyes: true story.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/17/2007 6:13 am
>Some< days, the best thing to do is just stay at home and wait it out....
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
01/17/2007 6:32 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings>Some< days, the best thing to do is just stay at home and wait it out....

that's how they drive in Portland without ice....
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 16
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
01/17/2007 9:56 pm
Thanks everyone.....Still on generator power but we're managing it. The kids think it 's adventerous. They say we may get electric by Monday. OK I have to unplug the computer now and plug up the fridge.
# 17
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2007 10:10 pm
I still get that adventurous feeling when the power goes out.
...actually there's a second of $%#%# argh my computer didn't save!!... then a couple of minutes of $%#^ argh..where's that friggin flashlight...
Then the adventure kinda kicks in. It breaks up the day cause I know two things fer sure. I don't have to work and I can eat cold beans.
We always used to eat cold beans when the power went out in England when we were kids, so it kinda became a ritual.. whenever the power goes out now, I shout ... GET OUT THE BEANS!!
# 18
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
01/18/2007 2:32 am
"Get out the beans." ....I never heard anyone say that when I lived in England, But I thaink I'm going to make it my new favorite quote.

THE ELECTRIC JUST CAME ON!!

I can't believe how much stress that just left when the lights came on.
Just thought I'd let everyone know.
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/18/2007 2:44 am
Good on yer! :D

Keep the Jenny ready for a while, just in case. The grid is usually kinda fragile for a few days after an event like this.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.