Digital Recording

40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
01/12/2007 3:24 pm
I have never tried recording anything that I play. Lately, I have had many requests to make a CD. So I need to buy a digital recorder, but I have no idea what is a good or bad recorder. 99% of what I play is acoustic, with a variety of insruments. So I want something to put different tracks together, something I can use with Windows on my computer, and something that costs less than $200(U.S.). Does anybody have any good ideas?
Favorite quote.....GET OUT THE BEANS!
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
01/12/2007 3:35 pm
If you're just starting out and want something cheap but also decent in quality check out the Korg Pandora PXR4... Basically Korg took their PR4 multi effects unit and added a 4 track recorder... somethign like this... it's not computer based but it will do EVERYTHING that you want... It's very basic easy to use and it's great for learning the basics of recording on: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=PXR4&category_id=3

BUT, you're also looking for something to go on your computer... When you get into it it's not as easy as just saying "Hey, I have a computer and I want to record..." You have to make sure that your computer is going to be able to run the applications that you buy... Nothings worse than getting an app home and installing it only to be greeted by a whole bunch of error messages telling you how big of an idiot you are for buying something that your comp can't handle.... So make sure you check the requirements. Also, you're going to have to make sure that you have a decent sound card and a 1/4" input so you can plug your guitar in.... You said you do mostly acoustic stuff so you can choose to go the route of acoustic/electric... or buying a decent mic and recording throught the mic.... You're looking at a lot more than just 200 dollars in most cases.... Some of the other guys that do a lot of computer based recording will give some suggestions on that... since I do most of mine in a studio with external multi trackers and mixers....
# 2
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
40ftsmurf
leagalize bluegrass
01/12/2007 10:57 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIf you're just starting out and want something cheap but also decent in quality check out the Korg Pandora PXR4... Basically Korg took their PR4 multi effects unit and added a 4 track recorder... somethign like this... it's not computer based but it will do EVERYTHING that you want... It's very basic easy to use and it's great for learning the basics of recording on: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=PXR4&category_id=3

BUT, you're also looking for something to go on your computer... When you get into it it's not as easy as just saying "Hey, I have a computer and I want to record..." You have to make sure that your computer is going to be able to run the applications that you buy... Nothings worse than getting an app home and installing it only to be greeted by a whole bunch of error messages telling you how big of an idiot you are for buying something that your comp can't handle.... So make sure you check the requirements. Also, you're going to have to make sure that you have a decent sound card and a 1/4" input so you can plug your guitar in.... You said you do mostly acoustic stuff so you can choose to go the route of acoustic/electric... or buying a decent mic and recording throught the mic.... You're looking at a lot more than just 200 dollars in most cases.... Some of the other guys that do a lot of computer based recording will give some suggestions on that... since I do most of mine in a studio with external multi trackers and mixers....

Thanks for the info....I'm very new at recording so I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'm trying to say. The KORG sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a recorder to mix things on and then download to my player on the computer to burn a CD. I am looking for the recorder now and then I will buy a nice condensor mic later on. I think something like the Korg you had mentioned will do that. I appreciate the link that you gave too. It was very helpful. I just don't know which product is best ...Korg, Tascam, Zoom, Fostex, or whatever. I just bought a new computer and I tried to make sure that I have enough stuff to handle something like that. Anymore info will be helpful.
Favorite quote.....GET OUT THE BEANS!
# 3
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 10:16 am
Originally Posted by: 40ftsmurfI have never tried recording anything that I play. Lately, I have had many requests to make a CD. So I need to buy a digital recorder, but I have no idea what is a good or bad recorder. 99% of what I play is acoustic, with a variety of insruments. So I want something to put different tracks together, something I can use with Windows on my computer, and something that costs less than $200(U.S.). Does anybody have any good ideas?

Have a look at the gnx range from digitec. you could get the gnx3 for around that price at a guess. It works by usb and comes with software for recording.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.