are thin necks actually faster ?

Fret spider
Fret spider
01/11/2007 6:36 pm
the above do u guys actually prefer the feel of thin necks and do they make u faster.

i dont like very fat necks, but i like the feel of my epiphone. it aint that thin or fat. when i played on a friends ibanez i didnt really like the neck it was too dam thin. i felt when ever i looped my thumb over the top theere waas a gap at my hand where it didnt touch the back of the neck.

anyway wat ur thoughts
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
01/11/2007 9:11 pm
It's just one of those personal preference things... A lot of people don't realize what the neck thickness does to the tone of the guitar... You'll notice that most blues musicians use thick vintage style necks... The thicker the neck the more bass your guitar tone will create and vice-versa for thin necks. A lot of metal guiarist choose thin necks because they feel faster adn they generally allow your hand room to make complicated stretches and such. The "speed" of the neck is more commonly distinguished by the material that it is finished in though. Guitar necks that are finished with high gloss lacquers are generally slow necks because your hand tends to catch on dry spots of the lacquer. Most LP's or any guitar with a neck that is color matched to the body usually has a finish like this... A lot of vintage Fender all maple necks have high gloss lacquer finishes too... Rosewood necks don't normally have lots of lacuqer making them feel faster... If you look at a Custom Zakk Wylde Les Paul you'll notice that the back of the neck is bare wood... Zakk had his tech sand off the poly finish on the back of the neck to make it "faster"...... A lot of people do this. My neck on my number one strat has a sanded fretboard... to make it satin and soft... and it has a very light lacquer on the back... just enough to keep moister out. It's a thin "modern" Fender neck profile... but still bulky enough to get the tone that I like. I also use "Fast-Fret" on the back of my neck to keep my hand from snagging.

But ultimately the speed of the neck is up to your hands.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.