Lost Hendrix Anthem!?!

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/06/2007 7:23 am
Article and Audio

I just heard about this today on a morning radio show. At first I didn't hear anything particularly Jimi-esque, but eventually it distinctly sounds like him...especially the feedback tremolo-ing is reminiscent of "Machine Gun" and of course his U.S. anthem at Woodstock. Not to mention the tone sounds like his. And sure, it's not gonna be his lost hit single or anything, but even Jimi apparently just messing around is enlightening. What ya'll think?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/06/2007 11:02 am
It certainly sounds like Jimmi Hendrix and the clues in the write up would confirm that. BUT< That is not Jimmi Hendrix. There was a noticable lack of wah and harmonics in that piece. Jimmi was noted for his effects over the strings. Also there were very few if any sustained notes that Jimmi loved to use. Who ever this is is doing a very good impression of the great man and it does sound good. But Jimmi that aint.

Listen again and then have a rethink. I couldn't spot any of Jimmi's tricks in tht piece except the over indulgence of wammy bar.

I could be wrong but i am very doubtful that the guitarist playing is Jimmi Hendrix. (The God OF Rock.)
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/06/2007 4:04 pm
Well just because there's no wah doesn't necessarily mean anything. Yeah he used it frequently, but not on every song. And I'm sure he didn't lug his whole set-up with him all the time. Jimi was noted for his effects over the strings on albums and on stage. I imagine just noodling around in the wee hours with friends (at their place) is a little different.
But like I said above, I think it's the sustained feedback, runs, and certain tremolo dives at points (in the latter half especially) that lean towards Jimi. Otherwise some of the actual struck notes are perhaps over attacked. Even Jimi wasn't in his finest form at all times though...I have a cd with him and Jim Morrison playing in some club together that certainly sounds different from his "polished" work. But yeah, someone like Jimi would have imitators, so that's possible too. Truthfully, I can't say definitively either way...but if I had to guess I'd say it's him.
[/FONT]
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
01/08/2007 5:37 pm
Jimi use to do renditions of the Star Spangled Banner all the time at live shows... He also frequently played God Save the Queen.

I didn't listen to the clip because I'm at work so I can't really say whether or not I think it's him... But he didn't frequently jam on that tune.
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/11/2007 11:32 pm
I really thought more people would have an opinion on this. Ah well...you're certainly entitled to have mine. ;)
[/FONT]
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/12/2007 12:06 am
I listened....Idk. Possibly...but imo its not Jimi. Tone just didn't sound right to me.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/12/2007 12:29 am
Opinion? Did someone say they wanted an opinon? Well, being quite the gas-bag, I am always willing to throw my two cents worth. I did listen to it and I got admit it does sound kinda like Jimi. Granted, if the history is correct, it was almost recorded as a goof and it would not be as polished as the stuff I have heard. The techniques are all there.

On the other hand, unless they find someway to authenticate it, it will remain a mystery.

Years ago, I had a case in NYC where someone was suing a rather famous musician for a copyright infringement. We paid a audiologist and a musicologist a boatload of cash to listen to the two tracks and analyze what they heard. It came back pretty convincing that the music was that of the author (our co-def) and not of the plaintiff. They ran the songs through about 30 different tests, computers and audio-spectrographs and found 'a proponderence of evidence' that our guys playing style 'matched' the song.

I guess if these guys were really convinced they had something of Jimi's, they could go that route. Pretty pricey though.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.