Amp Problem!

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
01/04/2007 11:43 pm
Ok, I have a peavey valveking amp and it keeps buzzing. It sounds like tv interference.

It only happens sometimes, but when it does, it is horrible! The buzzing is louder than the guitar.

It is not a problem with the speakers in the cab, it is coming from the head.

Please help, I have no idea why it is doing this
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/05/2007 1:25 am
Could be Tv interference, do you use an anteanna or cable/satellite? Could also be a wireless house phone or a cell phone.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
halo71
halo71
01/05/2007 1:27 pm
Does it buzz when you dont have your guitar connected to the amp also? Have you tried using another guitar? Maybe rule out your guitar as the cause! Maybe the amp is not grounded good.
# 3
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
01/05/2007 5:01 pm
Well someone on UG said it was the preamps in the amp, need replacing.

But come to think of it, my computer is near my amp, I have a wireless home phone by my computer, my cell phone is here, and I have a tv with an arial in the room too.l

So really, it could be any of them.
Im not O f****n K.
# 4
halo71
halo71
01/05/2007 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: heknowsnothingWell someone on UG said it was the preamps in the amp, need replacing.

But come to think of it, my computer is near my amp, I have a wireless home phone by my computer, my cell phone is here, and I have a tv with an arial in the room too.l

So really, it could be any of them.

Maybe, but did you try my suggestions?
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/05/2007 7:30 pm
does it only buzz when its in the dirty channel?

is the texture in class A or A/B?

how loud is the amp?

its not your preamp tubes, more than likely. it'll take years for them to screw up.
computers will mess with your guitar and make a sort of buzzing sound, but only if you're pretty close to it. also, i've had my wireless house phone on top of my amp and have it ring multiple times, without problems...

try moving your amp around the room to find a nice spot. not all places in your room are created equal.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
01/06/2007 2:09 pm
It has stopped doing it today. It always has on and off spells.
Im not O f****n K.
# 7
ampsandthings
ampsandthings
01/10/2007 9:51 am
Originally Posted by: heknowsnothingOk, I have a peavey valveking amp and it keeps buzzing. It sounds like tv interference.

It only happens sometimes, but when it does, it is horrible! The buzzing is louder than the guitar.

It is not a problem with the speakers in the cab, it is coming from the head.

Please help, I have no idea why it is doing this

Hi
I reckon it could be tubes (valves). Preamp and Power tubes produce all sorts of weird noises when faulty and can be noisey without a significant reduction in gain (volume).You may or may not want to do this but if the tubes are accessible, (although the chances they won't) gently tap the glass with a pencil and listen for strange crackles and echo noises (microphonics). If you find one is particularly bad then it could be time to replace it. Don't mess with the power tubes, these must replaced in pairs or a set of how ever many the amp uses. If you don't feel comfortable with this I suggest you take it to a techie who doesn't mind working with 'hot things and lethal voltages! :eek:
There's an article about used guitar amps which includes info about tube noises at about-guitar-amps.com. Hope this helps.
# 8
MFerguson
MFerguson
01/10/2007 1:03 pm
Start simple first.

My Peavey Bandit is especially sensitive to my cell phone. The cell phone "checks in" with the tower from time to time and it can be heard through the amp. Move your cell phone or amp at least 20 feet away, or turn your cell phone off as soon as you hear the noise.
There are 3 major cell phone providers in my area. It is only mine that causes a problem.
Next move, or turn off you computer.
Next change you instrument cable,
next move your guitar away from the amp while playing.

Eliminate the easy stuff first before messing with your tubes.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.