View post (Amp Problem!)

View thread

ampsandthings
ampsandthings
01/10/2007 9:51 am
Originally Posted by: heknowsnothingOk, I have a peavey valveking amp and it keeps buzzing. It sounds like tv interference.

It only happens sometimes, but when it does, it is horrible! The buzzing is louder than the guitar.

It is not a problem with the speakers in the cab, it is coming from the head.

Please help, I have no idea why it is doing this

Hi
I reckon it could be tubes (valves). Preamp and Power tubes produce all sorts of weird noises when faulty and can be noisey without a significant reduction in gain (volume).You may or may not want to do this but if the tubes are accessible, (although the chances they won't) gently tap the glass with a pencil and listen for strange crackles and echo noises (microphonics). If you find one is particularly bad then it could be time to replace it. Don't mess with the power tubes, these must replaced in pairs or a set of how ever many the amp uses. If you don't feel comfortable with this I suggest you take it to a techie who doesn't mind working with 'hot things and lethal voltages! :eek:
There's an article about used guitar amps which includes info about tube noises at about-guitar-amps.com. Hope this helps.