A tip of the hat to the GT members

Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
01/05/2007 1:37 pm
Even though I'm new here, I have to chime in and say I'm truly amazed at the warmness, sincerity and the maturity of this board. Every other one I've been involved with is nothing but a bickering board. I've yet to see any immaturity here, even the occasional "Gibson is better than Fender" discussion is handled well.
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/05/2007 6:17 pm
I think the reason we're so great is that we weed out the unworthy. If someone is being rude to someone else on the forum, it's generally understood that they are a) joking around, or b) about to be banned.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/07/2007 2:13 am
Originally Posted by: GuitarPsyhad to react on this ;)

your mind can change, if you ask it to, I've changed tremendously over the past 9 months (it's often caused by a huge loss or great pain), such situations give you a huge motivation to change, I agree that you can't change your true self, your characteristics, but you can bend them, it's all about how you deal with life in every aspect, feelings, people, prejudices, values and moral code, the way to change comes from understanding, be completely aware of why things are the way they are and why people act the way they do

I also agree agree on the fact that you should be careful saying those things in public, most people aren't in the same 'world of change' you're in and won't understand. What I've experienced is that most people are afraid, cause they're not ready to be confronted with such life issues, common knowledge that people are afraid of change, fear of things they don't understand/the unknown

once I've set my mind on something I wanna find out, I won't stop until I find it! screw the unknown! :p

Thanks for your response. I suppose you're correct in what you're saying. Yes, I think heavy emotional or traumatic moments can thrust a person into change if you're really committed to change. Although I do believe that the basic building blocks of a personality are there by the time you're 5 or 6. I know that's a Freudian concept, but there appears to be some truth to it. I like the idea of bending those building blocks though.

I know it sounds weird, but I spend the majority of my time alone and some times that lonliness just makes me half-mad. I end up putting some things out there in public just because I need to feel some level of connectedness to someone or something. But as you so aptly put it, it's easily misinterpreted or seen out of context.

And yes, most people are afraid of things they cannot see, understand or empathize with.

Again, thank you for the response. In the immortal words of Walter Becker and Donald Fagan "You can run but you can't hide from what's inside of you..." :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
polansky
polansky
01/07/2007 3:38 am
I think that the only problem that GT forums has is...

SO MANY STRAT LOVERS, it's not right.

But seroiusly... this is a great place to hang out and learn tons of cool stuff.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/07/2007 6:31 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyI think that the only problem that GT forums has is...

SO MANY STRAT LOVERS, it's not right...

No worries - that leaves more of the good stuff for us! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/07/2007 7:55 pm
Take that back, LatS. Take it back right now.
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/07/2007 8:08 pm
:p

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
polansky
polansky
01/07/2007 8:10 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsNo worries - that leaves more of the good stuff for us! :D

:eek: OOOOOOOhhhhhhh that one hurts.... it was good dude. :D
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 8
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/08/2007 7:19 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Gross? Really? That certainly wasn't my intention. It's tough for me to fight my natural inclination which is never to notice anything good. But I am trying to change the way I see things and I just wanted to note how impressed I am by the folks here at GT. I find most to be very friendly and helpful. It's nice to see compassion and understanding and a willingness to help.

It's my natural world-view to see things in a very, very negative way. I have always believed that all good acts are simply a cover for their true intentions. I have always believed that no one does anything out of the goodness of their heart. That there is always an ulterior motive. Something hidden, something sinister.

But like I said, I was trying to change my world-view.

But I've learned something; it's practically impossible to change your true-self and if you decide to try it, do it in private. No sense in laying yourself open in public. Nothing good comes from that.

So I learned something. And no day is a waste when you learn something.

Selah,

H60

Sorry I didn't mean to rain on the parade. I'm just cynical and non-sentimental.

Word.

# 9
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/08/2007 7:47 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollySorry I didn't mean to rain on the parade. I'm just cynical and non-sentimental.

Word.

Word back.

No rain. No parade. It was simple commentary. Like you, I am a king-hell cynic and I find sentimentality to usually be over-wrought and transparent. I remain impressed.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 10
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
01/08/2007 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Word back.

No rain. No parade. It was simple commentary. Like you, I am a king-hell cynic and I find sentimentality to usually be over-wrought and transparent. I remain impressed.

I'm no cynic, I'm all sentimental drama king :D
= good music is good drinking =
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.