G-C-D chord changes

txladykat
txladykat
12/28/2006 5:31 pm
serious beginner here. I have the A-E-D chord changes down, they are easy due to the pivot finger. I have a hard time changing between G-C-D since there is no pivot finger. Any tips?

BTW, I play the chords as follows (the number representing my finger instead of fret for illustration purposes)

G:
_4__________
_1__________

C:
_3__________

D:
_2__________
_3__________
_1__________
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/28/2006 6:03 pm
Just practice it will come.
2nd fret G bar cord
_________3__________________
___1________________________
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
12/28/2006 6:21 pm
More than anything it's a change that requires you to have accuracy and speed with your fingers... Something that can only be gained by practicing. Work on changing from just the G to the D.... just keep doing that over and over... then after a few minutes work on going from the D to the C...... do that over and over... then go C to G.... over and over... then go back and do the G to D... and keep doing that. After awhile your hands are going to get familiar with where they are and where they need to go... It's more of a muscle training excercise... Muscle training is big in sports like baseball and basketball... It's similar to taking 100 free throws a day. After you do it so much your muscles get use to the motion and it makes it almost effortless. It allows you to concentrate on other things without having to worry about bad habits. Just like in sports is all about repitition. Doing something over and over will increase the chances of your muscles getting use to the motion. doing these chord changes over and over may sound boring but it will help. It's all about the final goal. While you're playing these chord changes try to hum some melodies to keep yourself entertained.
# 3
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/28/2006 10:24 pm
[QUOTE=txladykat]serious beginner here. I have the A-E-D chord changes down, they are easy due to the pivot finger. I have a hard time changing between G-C-D since there is no pivot finger. Any tips?

BTW, I play the chords as follows (the number representing my finger instead of fret for illustration purposes)

G:
_4__________
_1__________

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to chord shapes. You play the same form as I do with C and D Chords. The G chord is different from mine or maybe it's numbered incorrectly. Try your G chord using this fingering shape and see if it helps.
G:
_3________
_2________
Using this shape emphasizes the third note (a Major chord is basically determined by the 1st note (Root), third note and fifth note). In this case the Root note is "G" (2nd finger, 6th string, open 3rd string and ring finger 1st string), the third is "B" (1st finger 5th string and open 2nd string) and the fifth is "D" (open 4th string).
When making chord changes, focus on your ring finger (start your "C" chord with Ring, Second and then Index) because it is a more natural flow with gravity and helps your fingers fall into place. Allow your fingers to follow what Nature gives. Many players fight what's natural before it becomes natural.
Let me know if this helps with your ability in those chord changes.
# 4
txladykat
txladykat
12/28/2006 10:45 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetian[QUOTE=txladykat]serious beginner here. I have the A-E-D chord changes down, they are easy due to the pivot finger. I have a hard time changing between G-C-D since there is no pivot finger. Any tips?

G:
_4__________
_1__________

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to chord shapes. You play the same form as I do with C and D Chords. The G chord is different from mine or maybe it's numbered incorrectly. Try your G chord using this fingering shape and see if it helps.
G:
_3________
_2________
Using this shape emphasizes the third note (a Major chord is basically determined by the 1st note (Root), third note and fifth note). In this case the Root note is "G" (2nd finger, 6th string, open 3rd string and ring finger 1st string), the third is "B" (1st finger 5th string and open 2nd string) and the fifth is "D" (open 4th string).
When making chord changes, focus on your ring finger (start your "C" chord with Ring, Second and then Index) because it is a more natural flow with gravity and helps your fingers fall into place. Allow your fingers to follow what Nature gives. Many players fight what's natural before it becomes natural.
Let me know if this helps with your ability in those chord changes.

thanks, I will definately try it tonight! I have been trying different ways, i.e. letting index finger place first, then follow with the rest, then trying another way, and I just can't seem to find one that feels natural...I know practice is the best route, but I want to practice with what will be more efficient, rather than practiciing and learning one way, only to find out later I coulda saved a whole lotta sweat on those chord changes, and applied that sweat somewhere else, LOL. know what i mean?

thanks for the tips, I will definately try the alternate fingering and follow the ring finger.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.