strange chords. jazz?

kafofkah
kafofkah
12/27/2006 1:24 pm
i found some really strange chords on the guitar over the years that i have been using in my songs ( my "style" i guess would be a really heavy twisted metal ). i was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of these chords.
1. this one you probably might have seen:
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-2-|
|-3-|

2. this is a weird one:
|-15-|
|-0--|
|-15-|
|-0--|
|-13-|
|----|

3. maby you use this one:
|-0-|
|-6-|
|-7-|
|-8-|
|-9-|
|---|

4. strange:
|-0-|
|-6-|
|-0-|
|-6-|
|-4-|
|-5-|

5. this one i think is used in a door's song without the 3 though:
|-0-|
|-4-|
|-0-|
|-4-|
|-3-|
|---|

6. i like this one alot:
|-0-|
|-4-|
|-7-|
|---|
|---|
|---|

7. this one is kinda like the 3rd one:
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|-6-|
|---|

8. more strange chords:
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-5-|
|-6-|
|---|

9. and last but not least:
|-9-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-8-|
|-9-|
|---|

could any of these chords be associated with jazz formation???
i use them alot in my song called "zxxyxzxzz", its an unpronounceble title
that can only be pronouced threw its music ( wich is really weird too )
waddya think?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/27/2006 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: kafofkahi found some really strange chords on the guitar over the years that i have been using in my songs...
[/quote]
Any chord can be named by using any note as the root, then naming the rest of the notes in the chord by their relative distance from that root note. So in your first chord:

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-2-|
|-3-|

You have low to high: G, B, D-sharp, G, B, E. Take each one in turn as the root and figure out the interval between each note and the root.

Use the G as the root and the rest become:
B = major 3rd
D-sharp = augmented 5th
E = major 6th
This is a G augmented chord with an added 6th - G aug add6.

Use the B as the root and the rest become:
G = flat 6th - or augmented 5th
D-sharp = major 3rd
E = 4th
This is a B augmented with an added 4th - B aug add4. Since it's (aug)5th is on bottom it is in 2nd inversion.

And so on. Which one should you call it? Whichever best matches the other chords you are using with it. Or what key it is in. For example if you are using a lot of open bottom E string notes in between the chords or something you might consider it from the perspective of that E as the root.

Use the E as the root and the rest become:
G = minor 3rd
D-sharp = major 7th
B = minor 3rd
This is an E minor major 7th chord in first inversion.

Mostly people consider using the lowest sounding note as the root. This is a good place to start - but not always the best or most proper name for any given chord.
Originally Posted by: kafofkah

Some chords are stereotypically associated with certain styles of music. But no chord is exclusive to any style. Also, to say something is a "jazz chord" implies more of the function (HOW you are using it) than simply any random "weird sounding chord". For example, in jazz augmented type chords are usually used for cadences - as V or vii chords - to get to a resolution or a new root chord for a modulation.
[QUOTE=kafofkah]
waddya think?

I think it's pointless to even have a title if it's supposedly unpronouncable - or you intend it to be.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
12/27/2006 5:00 pm
waddya think?

By any chance associated with Zzyxz Rd. by Stone Sour??? That song uses strange chords as well... mostly because it's played on piano... When songs are taken from piano and transcribed for guitar sometimes you get strange chord shapings like that... Since they're not commonly used in guitar since they're not thought to be practical... The piano is a much more comprehensive instrument than the guitar.
# 3
bin_kere
bin_kere
12/27/2006 7:45 pm
hi,
i wanna learn guitar chords and tabs formation
like A formation
eg:A C#min F#min Bmin D E this is one form i want simmilar such formation library to learn guitar
# 4
kafofkah
kafofkah
12/28/2006 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelAny chord can be named by using any note as the root, then naming the rest of the notes in the chord by their relative distance from that root note. So in your first chord:

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-2-|
|-3-|

You have low to high: G, B, D-sharp, G, B, E. Take each one in turn as the root and figure out the interval between each note and the root.

Use the G as the root and the rest become:
B = major 3rd
D-sharp = augmented 5th
E = major 6th
This is a G augmented chord with an added 6th - G aug add6.

Use the B as the root and the rest become:
G = flat 6th - or augmented 5th
D-sharp = major 3rd
E = 4th
This is a B augmented with an added 4th - B aug add4. Since it's (aug)5th is on bottom it is in 2nd inversion.

And so on. Which one should you call it? Whichever best matches the other chords you are using with it. Or what key it is in. For example if you are using a lot of open bottom E string notes in between the chords or something you might consider it from the perspective of that E as the root.

Use the E as the root and the rest become:
G = minor 3rd
D-sharp = major 7th
B = minor 3rd
This is an E minor major 7th chord in first inversion.

Mostly people consider using the lowest sounding note as the root. This is a good place to start - but not always the best or most proper name for any given chord.

Some chords are stereotypically associated with certain styles of music. But no chord is exclusive to any style. Also, to say something is a "jazz chord" implies more of the function (HOW you are using it) than simply any random "weird sounding chord". For example, in jazz augmented type chords are usually used for cadences - as V or vii chords - to get to a resolution or a new root chord for a modulation.

I think it's pointless to even have a title if it's supposedly unpronouncable - or you intend it to be.

"supposedly"? i cant pronounce it. but it was intended to be like that. the music is really fast and uses some of the strangest time signatures, chords...ect but since you put it as "it depends on how it is played" i guess it wouldnet be associated with jazz formations or as you said before "no chord is exclusive to any style". but thanks for the info.
aschleman, i didnt know stone sour had a song with that title. i dont like stone sour but your the first to tell me they had a name closely simular to mine.-thats awsome. i guess the title of my song ( it has no words ) would be pronouced as ziz....zxxyxzxzz.
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
12/28/2006 7:17 pm
aschleman, i didnt know stone sour had a song with that title. i dont like stone sour but your the first to tell me they had a name closely simular to mine.-thats awsome. i guess the title of my song ( it has no words ) would be pronouced as ziz....zxxyxzxzz.

Zzyxz Rd. Is actually a pretty good song... It's played with acoustic guitars and piano...... a slow song. Nothing similar to the stuff Corey Taylor did with Slipknot.

I think Stone Sour is a pretty decent modern rock band though. I like most of there stuff... Taylor actually writes some very good songs.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.