harmonic minor

Fret spider
Fret spider
12/20/2006 3:46 pm
i've decided i love the harmonic minor.

it has been a while since i visited it. in fact the last time i seriosly look at it was before i understood diatonic theory. now looking at it i found lots of cool different things.

like if u take the seventh mode of the harmonic minor its a diminished scale. then i thoughthang on a minuet the diminished arpegio is a repeating patern. what i mean by this as the invtervals between all the notes are the same. so i could in fact have four diminished chords in the scale, one for each note in the orrigonal diminished arpegio.

what i wondered is the u dont get the other diminished chords buy adding thirds.
so are they really diminished or should they be some weird sus or 13th chord or somethin.

for an example a harmonic minor has the notes

A B C D E F G# A

the seventh chord of the scale is G# diminished and has notes G# B D and F
but another diminished chord is B diminished and has notes B D F and G#
dito.... D dim ...... D F G# B
..dito... F dim ...... F G# B D

but the last three chords arnt made by adding thirds.

B dim is root b3 b5 6
D dim is root b3 4# 6
F dim is root 2 4# 6

in reality i realise i am being anal and it doesnt really matter.

edit: oi also realise i just had a rant about how i like the harmonic minor, well it was fun :D
# 1
ren
ren
12/20/2006 5:01 pm
Diminished arpeggios are built by stacking minor thirds. As 4 note symetrical arpeggios, they are all inversions of each other...

Based on the fact that the 7th degree of the harmonic minor has no accepted name, it probably doesn't matter what you call it's constituent parts.... There are a number of things you could call these arpeggios and still be 'correct'...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
12/20/2006 5:31 pm
indeed you are right ren.

for some reason i felt the need to say how i loved the harmonic minor. then the rest was an afterthought.

i guess its because the theory section is a little dead at the moment.
# 3
ren
ren
12/20/2006 5:34 pm
You're not wrong... so, on topic (just)....

What do you call the seventh degree of the harmonic minor? Answers on a postcard....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
12/20/2006 5:35 pm
well um...

havent the faintest idea
# 5
Fret spider
Fret spider
12/20/2006 5:38 pm
maybee the mixolodion sharp harmonic minor

:D

or aeolion plat harmonic minor
# 6
axemaster911
axemaster911
12/24/2006 3:09 am
:D
Originally Posted by: renYou're not wrong... so, on topic (just)....

What do you call the seventh degree of the harmonic minor? Answers on a postcard....

Raising/augmenting/, diminishing/lowering, diatonic recreations are a blast for making new sounds, and a bitch to learn, but worth the trouble :D
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
12/27/2006 8:35 pm
as i know the diatonic quite well. i find it not too hard to augment or diminish the odd note hear and there. i normally stick in aeolian minor, then change a bit. harmonic minor is only one different note, and i find once ive played it for a bit it gets in my head and i know were the weird interval lies and so i dont get too lost as long as i dont journey too far from my most comfortable diatonic position.

i also like puttin some flat fives on the aolian to make a sort of blues scale. or i flatten the second note, which is the phrygian mode. ( but i tend not to dwell on the names, or even if my alterations just make different modes, like this one.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.