Drumming

maestro shaz
maestro shaz
12/20/2006 4:47 am
Hey there...

Anyone got any suggestions on how to create a realistic sounding drum kit??

I use a plug-in which i think is quite good, and I have some realistic drum sounds, with different dynamics etc.

I think it works ok, however something is just not right. I am a drummer myself, I know about dynamics and all that, but it still sounds computerized.

I'd like to know other peoples techniques on how they create their drums....

Please, everyone, I wanna know...

Keep rocking :cool:
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/20/2006 5:24 am
Get a decent set of drum loop discs and a copy of ReCycle.
They usually provide loops in a series of groups like intros, verses, bridge, fills etc.. plus a set of single shots of each part of the kit.
You use the loops to build a song, then import the single shots into a drum machine like Battery and add your own embellishments.
With ReCycle you'll also be able to edit them and alter the BPM.
You can also collect a bunch of percussion loops or other things like vocals, synths etc...

Like, I did this with a bunch of different drum loops, then used a drum machine to add in the drum rolls.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/Orbit_Schmange_320.mp3

... or this kinda thing, using loop collections like 'Sounds of India', 'Voices from the Blackbox' etc...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/Maya_Schmange_320.mp3

You can throw stuff like that together in just a coupla hours by grabbing a bunch of random files, loading them into your recording software and playing around with em.
# 2
ren
ren
12/20/2006 9:11 am
I use Reason or Sonar for my drums - I don't use loops at all... but that makes it take a while ( :eek: ).

To make it sound authentic, I move things just off the beat now and again so it doesn't sound so robotic....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/20/2006 1:07 pm
The best and most realistic drum software (without spending big money on Halion or Giga Studio) is either DFHS (Drumkit From Hell Superior) or EZdrummer - both by Toontrack. Check them out - they both have a humanizing feature which automatically changes velocity and timing and draws the sounds from a huge library of real drum samples so it sounds very natural. DFHS also has a masive ammount of options such as mic placement and type and levels of bleed. You can also buy a huge library of pre-programmed midi beats specifically set up for DFHS from Groove Monkey - you can copy, paste and splice them together to create just about any beat you can imagine.
Either that or mic up a real drummer in a cheap studio on a cheap kit, then track each of the drums separately (everything needs to be mic'd separately - including all cymbals) - then use something like Beat Detective to allign each hit for perfect timing and remove all unwanted mic bleeding. You can then use a refill-style software such as Drumagog to replace all of the badly recorded drums with expertly mixed and engineered samples. It's a lot of hassle but the end result is a true professional sound, this method is widely used in pro-studios and you have more than liekly heard it on a few cd's in your collection (it can be used for either just one drum or an entire kit). If this sounds like too much work then check out DFHS or EZdrummer! Battery is also a cool program worth having a look at.
# 4
stephenlyrical
stephenlyrical
12/31/2006 8:56 pm
Have any of used Aleissse's SR16. I'm not a drummer but use it for demos and have same problem getting realistic sound, and I'm sure my not being a drummer doesn't help.

Will the suggestions about work with this drum machine? If anyone knows or has other ideas I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,
Stephen
# 5
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/12/2007 5:06 am
Is Easy Drummer a stand alone program where you make your beat and then save it as a wav, MP3....and then bring it into your editing program? Or is it a pluggin? I have some lame recording software and they don't support VST pluggins. So I have to bring my drums in as a file.

I was looking into buying Sonar 6, Home Studio 4XL or Reason but they are pricey and I just want to lay down some drums and a bass line so I can play guitar over them and maybe at some point put together a song. If I can get good drum software I can record my own bass tracks.

I down loaded Battery Demo and was disappointed with the drum sounds and it looks like a pluggin only program. I also downloaded Reason and Sonar 6 demos. They offer a lot of stuff but I want to play music not learn software. Not to mention the raping of my wallet. Ez Drummer sounded great on there website tutorial and looked like something I could learn in a reasonable amount of time.

Help me please......I'm so confussed.....
# 6
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/13/2007 2:37 am
To get the most realistic drum sounds get some mics, mic up the kit, and record it. you said you were a drummer right?
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 7
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 7:41 am
Originally Posted by: maestro shazHey there...

Anyone got any suggestions on how to create a realistic sounding drum kit??

I use a plug-in which i think is quite good, and I have some realistic drum sounds, with different dynamics etc.

I think it works ok, however something is just not right. I am a drummer myself, I know about dynamics and all that, but it still sounds computerized.

I'd like to know other peoples techniques on how they create their drums....

Please, everyone, I wanna know...

Keep rocking :cool:

I use an ion electronic drum kit and do it myself. With the kit i can create different kits on the drum machine and set the levels. This is a reletively cheap set up the more exspensive ones are a lot better and can give you that extra dynamic you are looking for. Also its easier this way for fills etc.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/14/2007 2:19 pm
[QUOTE=Bar Chord Nick]Is Easy Drummer a stand alone program where you make your beat and then save it as a wav, MP3....and then bring it into your editing program? Or is it a pluggin? I have some lame recording software and they don't support VST pluggins. So I have to bring my drums in as a file.

I was looking into buying Sonar 6, Home Studio 4XL or Reason but they are pricey and I just want to lay down some drums and a bass line so I can play guitar over them and maybe at some point put together a song. If I can get good drum software I can record my own bass tracks.
QUOTE]

Download Reaper, it's free and it supports VST's plus it's an excellent piece of software - on par with Cubase SX and ProTools for quality and features.
# 9
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
01/15/2007 4:37 am
Poon tang, I have that done already...

I have real authentic drum samples.

It's just putting it together which sounds too robotic.

The samples I use have different dynamics. Example fr the snare I have 5 different strengthds and so on....

I dunno.... It just dont sound right to me :confused:
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 10
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
01/15/2007 8:38 pm
I myself use a Roland electric drum set. I couldn't imagine an easier way of doing it. You control everything, the sounds are great and its very easy, although not the easiest in terms of the $$$. If it was an option though, an electric set would be a wise purchase for recording i think. And you're a drummer, so electric sets are always fun to mess around on, too.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 11
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/20/2007 2:07 am
I must thank Superhuman. You are the man.... I checked out EZ Drummer and I already had Reaper but never used it. I decided Ez Drummer was worth trying and bought it. I installed it and spent 3 minutes with it and had drums I liked. I just grabbed some grooves and pasted them in a track and had a beat. They sound real to me and much easier than my SR16. I can even edit them or make complete tracks using the midi sequencer in Reaper. Also has a humanize feature that sets the hits off just a bit to make it sound more natural. Once you put your bass, rhythm and lead over them nobody could tell if it's live or Memorex. I put just some grooves together in less than a minute and posted it so those interested could hear for themselves. It's just a basic beat with fills thrown in at random.

Drum Test

Once again thanks for the advise Superhuman very :cool:

Now I need to get creative.... :D
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.