Vintage 1964 Fender Concert Amp(blackface)?

axemaster911
axemaster911
12/11/2006 1:47 am
Any one have spare parts, or own a 1964 Fender Concert Amp. {Blackface} 175 watt tube- with 4 ,10" speakers?
Or know any Vintage history of, or about this model Fender blackface amp? 1964 was the first year Fender made the blackface Model.
I have one, and would like an knowledgable opinion, and parts!
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
12/11/2006 3:00 am
To my knowledge... the only 4x10" model that Fender has ever made was the Fender Hotrod Deville....... but I could be wrong on that.

Is there a serial number on it?? If so you could type in "Fender Amp Serial numbers" or something like that into a google search and see what kind of webistes come up... I know there are a ton of sites that explain the dating and codes of guitars... I would assume that there is a site that does the same for Fender Amps.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/11/2006 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanTo my knowledge... the only 4x10" model that Fender has ever made was the Fender Hotrod Deville....... but I could be wrong on that.

Fender has made several 4x10's through the years. My cousin has a 60's Fender 4x10 (not sure of the exact model). It's got one(maybe 2) channel with reverb and vibe. It's a really sweet sounding amp, but could use some new tubes and a little work.

You might want to check out http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ . I'm sure there are some folks there that could give you a bit more info on your amp. (not saying you can't/won't get what you're looking for here though) It's a real mature forum and full of the "cork sniffy" types lol. So, they know their stuff when it comes to vintage and boutique gear. There are also a lot of amp builders and guitar luthiers there too.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
axemaster911
axemaster911
12/11/2006 11:48 pm
:D
Originally Posted by: aschlemanTo my knowledge... the only 4x10" model that Fender has ever made was the Fender Hotrod Deville....... but I could be wrong on that.

Is there a serial number on it?? If so you could type in "Fender Amp Serial numbers" or something like that into a google search and see what kind of webistes come up... I know there are a ton of sites that explain the dating and codes of guitars... I would assume that there is a site that does the same for Fender Amps.

Yes there is a 4x10 model Fender Concert Amp-175 watt. It is dated by the two capital letters ink stamped on the original inside Model tag. Mine was made in January, 1964,(tag stamp-XQ NL) It was the first year Fender used the Silver mesh speaker cover, and it is a blackface.
And any one with knowledge of this amps history, and facts is welcome to chip in some info :cool:
# 4
axemaster911
axemaster911
12/11/2006 11:54 pm
:D
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaFender has made several 4x10's through the years. My cousin has a 60's Fender 4x10 (not sure of the exact model). It's got one(maybe 2) channel with reverb and vibe. It's a really sweet sounding amp, but could use some new tubes and a little work.

You might want to check out http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ . I'm sure there are some folks there that could give you a bit more info on your amp. (not saying you can't/won't get what you're looking for here though) It's a real mature forum and full of the "cork sniffy" types lol. So, they know their stuff when it comes to vintage and boutique gear. There are also a lot of amp builders and guitar luthiers there too.

Thanks for info, your right the vintage 4x10 Fenders have a cool, mellow sound you just dont hear in modern amps I think :D
# 5
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
12/12/2006 12:58 am
1960 was the first year for the Concert Amp Series. Don't know if it had a black face or not then. I found this site with very little info on your specific amp but had some interesting stuff and I found One for sale on ebay.

Fender Info
Amp For Sale

Sorry I couldn't help
# 6
axemaster911
axemaster911
12/12/2006 7:03 am
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord Nick1960 was the first year for the Concert Amp Series. Don't know if it had a black face or not then. I found this site with very little info on your specific amp but had some interesting stuff and I found One for sale on ebay.

Fender Info
Amp For Sale

Sorry I couldn't help

Any little bit helps, thanks.
I did not know when the Concert Amp model series started, thats good to know. I do know that in 1960 it would have been a brown face, and looked much different than the 1964 model. In 64 the brown was phased out for a silver mesh front much like the modern fenders look now. Thats the only differences between the two year models I know of.
Any one with any other interesting tidbits on this subject Id love to hear? :cool:
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.