Painting guitar bodies and pickguards

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
12/06/2006 4:54 am
Ok so i tried researching all this painting guitar body stuff and i think i got it all good, but can i paint pickguards, and the plastic part of the pickups?
also if i put tape over the logo(ibanez) could i paint the headstock and take the tape off and the logo would still be fine?
I got a great vision, i will post pics when i get all this done ill probably go step by step but thakns in advance for the answers to the questions.
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/06/2006 6:52 pm
Naw, You dont want to paint that stuff. Just buy the pieces you want in the color you want. Also I would not try to paint the head stock leave it raw to give your axe abused look. if you paint it you may not be happy with it! Oh! I had a dude paint a guitar for me once he worked as a auto body painter. He painted my guitar with auto paint it looked great. Think about pinstripes :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
12/06/2006 8:29 pm
oh no its not an expensive guitar its just a test guitar is all i can get it for $150 Canadian i was just wondering if painting pickguards would work
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 3
markc2005
markc2005
12/06/2006 8:34 pm
you could paint the pickguards but it would very quickly scratch down to the original and look messy, it would probably be alot easier just to buy one in the colour you want
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/06/2006 10:30 pm
I wanted to have a rebel flag pickguard so I got a piece of plexiglass from Home Depo and made the pickguard myself, then painted the back so it would be visible w/o the worry of scratching the paint. Course I had A rotozip and a number of other tools to help do the job.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
blueswamps
blueswamps
12/08/2006 1:09 am
there ia a graphic aritst here in New orleans that uses epoxy paint on pickguards because paint doesn't stick to plasctic type substances. Good luck.
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/08/2006 3:26 am
Originally Posted by: blueswampsthere ia a graphic aritst here in New orleans that uses epoxy paint on pickguards because paint doesn't stick to plasctic type substances. Good luck.

What about the countless people who paint plastic model cars/airplanes?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
blueswamps
blueswamps
12/08/2006 4:06 am
I suggest you get some more gum. I am a retired seal corpsman.
# 8
willrocksomeday
willrocksomeday
12/08/2006 7:54 am
You can paint plastic easily. First, lightly scuff sand the surface so that the paint adhers better. Use a plastics primer, like primer used on models. Then simply paint. Best to use an airsprayer, and don't paint all at once. Paint a light dust coat, let it tack up for 15 min, then another coat, and repeat. That way you won't get runs. Use a clear coat to make it more durable. There are also all kinds of pickguards for sale. Plexiglass with the image underneath is a great idea.
# 9
willrocksomeday
willrocksomeday
12/08/2006 8:06 am
As for the headstock, I would leave it alone. You will have to sand down the clear coat and any paint. The clear coat runs all the way down the neck, so you'll have to sand the whole neck, you can't paint clear in patches. Use a grain filler so that the paint doesn't soak into the wood. You could tape off the logo, but the better way to go would be clear liquid masking which you can find in model shops. You just paint it on, let it dry, paint your headstock, then pull the masking off. You can use elmers glue for this, but I would buy the real stuff. The problem with tape is that the paint can sometimes run underneath it. If you're going to use tape, use automotive masking tape, usually green, and apply a whole patch over the logo. Then use an exacto knife to cut the excess. To make it look professional, do three solid coats, but you have to wet sand each coat with fine paper (1500 to 2000 grit at least.) Do the same for clear, and go slow, clear is very runny. Mess up on the clear and you'll be sanding the whole thing over again. Good luck. Oh, and this is reliable info, I paint planes in the military.
# 10
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/08/2006 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccWhat about the countless people who paint plastic model cars/airplanes?
Scratch your finger nail across a painted model and see what happens :(
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/08/2006 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEScratch your finger nail across a painted model and see what happens :(

I know it would come off, I was just arguing that plastic can be painted w/o special paint.

Myspace
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.