View post (Painting guitar bodies and pickguards)

View thread

willrocksomeday
willrocksomeday
12/08/2006 8:06 am
As for the headstock, I would leave it alone. You will have to sand down the clear coat and any paint. The clear coat runs all the way down the neck, so you'll have to sand the whole neck, you can't paint clear in patches. Use a grain filler so that the paint doesn't soak into the wood. You could tape off the logo, but the better way to go would be clear liquid masking which you can find in model shops. You just paint it on, let it dry, paint your headstock, then pull the masking off. You can use elmers glue for this, but I would buy the real stuff. The problem with tape is that the paint can sometimes run underneath it. If you're going to use tape, use automotive masking tape, usually green, and apply a whole patch over the logo. Then use an exacto knife to cut the excess. To make it look professional, do three solid coats, but you have to wet sand each coat with fine paper (1500 to 2000 grit at least.) Do the same for clear, and go slow, clear is very runny. Mess up on the clear and you'll be sanding the whole thing over again. Good luck. Oh, and this is reliable info, I paint planes in the military.