Self Taught?

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
12/05/2006 8:48 pm
I say take lessons until it comes to a point where you feel you can figure stuff out on your own. If there is a whole new genre that you don't feel like you know about once you've learned about whatever genre of music you thought you wanted to learn when you started... I say get lessons again from someone who knows about that genre.

Learn to read music. It'll make all the difference in the future.

Never allow yourself to stay with a teacher if you're better than you're teacher (I learned this the hard way). It was good that I got most of those lessons for free, but it was just a big waste of ****ing time.

Good luck.

# 1
laderswager
laderswager
12/06/2006 3:12 am
EADGBE

Every Angry Dog Barks Eroticly (lol) yes yes
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 2
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
12/06/2006 3:24 am
Im Self taught but any opportunity to get lessons is definately worth it but also you have to put time into it. But yea i've always wanted lessons couldn't and still can't afford them but if you can go for it they can only do good for you
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 3
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
12/06/2006 5:08 am
I'm self taught.

But I think I was really lucky as a child, cos my dad plays guitar. I was always fascinated with the distortion in his amp, and his tapping technique.

Since listening to him play I just wanted to play, BUT he was like "Hands off, Don't you dare touch my electric guitar!!!!" I mean come on... who would let their 6 year old son play a fender guitar????

So me being a naughty kid I'd sneek away and play his acoustic guitar.

One day I was in an accident, and he felt sorry for me and funny thing is, him knowing I love guitar so much, he let me try his electric hehehe... That was like the best day of my life!!!!

He never gave me lessons, all he taught me was how to read TAB (Surfing with the Alien TAB) and he just let me be on my own. And that's basically it.

I progressed really fast, more than any of my friends. I never really got stuck or anything. I just pick things up really quickly.

Another thing is, I was and still am crazy about guitar. It was my breakfast lunch and tea. I hardly turned up to class cos I'd be in the music room practising. I'd play atleast about 4-5 hours per day, ATLEAST!!!

In high school, thought I'd check out the new guitar teacher and went for lessons. It turned out that I started teaching him HAHA!!!!

so yeah, and another thing is as a young boy, I was very stubborn, I didn't wanna listen to anyone or a teacher about how to play guitar. That's just me.

I had more pride in learning myself.

But it paid off, I had more people coming to me wanting to learn from me, I was just a kid and taught them for free. I felt joy knowing that I made a difference in someones life hehehe

Don't get me wrong, I'm not up-myself, I do believe I can play ok, but everyday I'm not happy with the way I play... and I continue to learn new things everyday, on my own!

But none the less, I reckon taking lessons from a teacher would most certainly help anyone and everyone.

So good luck to you all learning, and don't be as stubborn as I was.

Cheers
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.