Weird Wiring

willrocksomeday
willrocksomeday
11/30/2006 8:12 am
I want to wire a fernandes sustainer system with an EMG-81. But I also want an 85 in neck pos. right below the sustainer pickup, but on the diagram this eliminates neck/mid/brigde combos. How can I wire it so that I can use the 81 and 85 together, or all thee?

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/manuals/FSK401.pdf
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
12/01/2006 5:12 pm
First off.... you do realize that the Sustainer takes the place of your neck pickup.... right?? The sustainer is basically just a pickup.... And it's placed in the Neck pickup section of the guitar.... Where it's vibrational effectiveness is the greatest... It's basically an active pickup... all in all... EMG pickups are also active pickups... With all that said, you'd need to follow the diagram that is labeled "Active Pickups". But with the knowledge that unless you have a guitar with a H-H-S configuration (which I have never seen)... there isn't much possibility to have the 85/81 set AND a Sustainer... I'm not saying it's impossible, because it's very possible. It's just going to be hard to find a guitar that can handle that configuration. As far as the wiring goes, if you knwo what you're doing you can do a whole bunch of crazy things and to do what you want to do is very basic..... It dosn't sound like you realize that the Sustainer is actually a pickup that takes the place of the Neck pickup...... You could put the Sustainer in the middle of a H-S-H configuration and have the 85/81 set wired in... But that would defete the purpose of the Sustainer... The reason it's placed at the neck position is because it's the ideal spot for the Sustainer to vibrate the strings... creating the "sustainer" effect........ I suggest reading over that manuel a little bit more to get a better understanding of what the Sustainer actually is........ Like I said, it's not impossible but it'll take a lot of money to route a body to fit your needs.... It's just one of htose situations where you're asking to have your cake and eat it too.... You can easily do it with a single 81 at the Bridge.... a different EMG single coil pickup in the middle... and the Sustainer in the Neck position... that would give you something of what you want.

If I misunderstood the question I apollogize.
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
12/01/2006 7:12 pm
Hey, if someone can come up with a design for that which works........could make you a millionaire..........
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
12/01/2006 7:37 pm
I know a guy that has a Fender strat with a humbucker at the bridge and a Sustainer at the neck.... and he runs two seperate circuits in his guitar... with two jack outputs.... into to seperate amps. He plays a lot of slide in open tunings.... And he gets a really crazy layered sound by running two amps becuase he can run one clean channel and one dirty channel all at once with one guitar... Normally he runs the sustainer output into a clean amp with some chorus effect to get a nice wide tone that's laid underneath his lead tone which is either his humbucker, single in the middle, or both... It's a pretty crazy tone-monster type of setup... It's just really hard to run all that stuff through a standard vintage (not tub) routing of a strat.... So it was a pretty custom project with a lot of routing/body work and wiring... But basicially it's two seperate guitar electronics systems... both are very basic... but both operate independently... The tone controls on the guitar itself only control the bridge and middle pickups... The sustainer is hard wired through an on/off switch... and the volume/tone controls are strictly through the amp... He has pedals hooked up to control the chorus/overdrive/phaser/tremolo... etc... It's a crazy setup but he does a lot of weird stuff like that. Sounds verrrry cool too. It's like having two guitars playing but there's only one. He's his own rhythm and lead parts....
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.