sound help

tribass3
tribass3
11/15/2006 3:15 am
Hey everyone need a little help here. Well our five piece is getting ready for a small gig 200 people. I have some questions. First we are running a Nady XA1100 power amp with a behringer RX1202FX mixer and a pair of Yorkville YSC-10's . Now would you run both guitars and drums along with lead and backing vocals through the YSC 10's . OR would you run the guitars through their own amps(not miced ) and not mic the drums at all and just run the vocals into the YSC-10's . We are using Audix OM2's for mics. The other end of it is the hall we are playing also has a Peavey 600R PA system. I was thinking about micing the guitars and drums through the XA1100 and using the Peavey Pa strictly for vocals. I know the easy solution would be buy some PA mains but at this time it isn't happening. The YSC-10's are placed beside the drums with the guitar amps placed on top of each. It sounds like everything is being muffled when we run everything through the mixer and amp. any help would be appreciated. the last gig we did was outside and we didn't mic the guitars or drums and the vocals sounded great through the YSC-10s/. Would you also place the YSC-10's beside the drums and the PA mains on stands up front off to the sides. thanks in advance.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/15/2006 6:22 am
Hmmm. I did a sound job for a 5 piece band on Halloween. What we did was mic the drums and run them into thier own mixer and had a stereo L/R out into the PA. The Bass Drum was mic'd by itself into the PA. Then I left the bass drum centered and panned the drums left and right just like it looks to the crowd. So when the drummer did a little roll the sound went in the same direction as the drummer. The guitars were all lined out from the amps to the PA but Mic-ing them although different you could still use the same principle. Since like you we only had two towers for sound. I again panned one guitar mostly left and on mostly right to get them out of eachothers way. The bass was left in the center as was the vocals. It turned out pretty good for the limited equipment. The key was the panning. If you keep everything in the middle. It'll sound muddy and trainwreckish. Yeah up front left and right for the towers.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Aaron Streate
Aaron Streate
11/18/2006 12:45 am
I would say put your mains up front on the left and right side. Mic the the guitars and get a DI box for the bass, but essentially you want to get everything going through the PA so you can get an even mix and have independent stage and main volume controls. Also, with the everything going through the PA, you can point your guitar amps wherever you like (I point mine at my face) and that really helps out if you don't have enough stage monitors.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.