Pick Styles

laderswager
laderswager
11/05/2006 12:40 am
I have a host of various picks, finger picks (for thumbs and fingers) and normal style picks. Which one is easier to learn with? Are they any advantages over normal picks with finger picks? Should i even be useing any pick at all?

Thanks.
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 1
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
11/05/2006 1:06 am
Hi, im guessing you are completely new to guitar. In any case the guitar can be played in two main styles; with the fingers (a la classical guitarists), with the "normal" pick that is held btw the thumb and the pointy finger.

Whichever pick you decide to use is totally dependent on what style of music you are playing. If you are heading the classical route which involes using your fingers along with fingerpicks is what you would use. If you are playing any other style such as rock or blues then a normal pick is what is used.

I hope its a bit clearer now; my whole point was to tell you that those two types of picks are completely different and used for different things entirely.
# 2
laderswager
laderswager
11/05/2006 1:25 am
Okay thanks alot :)
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 3
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
11/05/2006 10:43 pm
It's all a matter of prefrance... you could try FRAILING... it is very, very similar to fingerpicking... What you do is you grow the nails out on the hand you strm the strings with, manicure them, meaning, make sure they are longer than your fretting hand... Round off the edges.... The only down side I've noticed using this is that people tend to ask you awkward questions about your fingernails.... :rolleyes: Its up to you to think of a reasonable lie.... or just to tell them the truth...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.