uuuggghhh..

z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/30/2006 11:49 pm
gotta 98/100 on my "History of Rock Music" midterm----50 questions and i got one wrong, thus uuggghh. i missed the question ---"what was the biggest cultural influence on rock music?" i said >the church on the blues---answer> black music on white. i thought too much on it----the key was "cultural"... oh well i will take it. it is a blast of an elective though, the teacher is an extremely eccentric bass player(aren't they all??) who is hilarious. i wish you guys were in the class. next test is on '50's rock----trivia for you -what song and by who had the first distorted guitar sound on a recording? how did it occur?
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
10/30/2006 11:59 pm
Why doesn't my school have a class like that? Maybe it does... bah I need to schedule for next semester.

Random stressed thought I'm going to fail band because I missed two shows on Saturday due to personal issue (not being hung over). Sooo... coming to college a week early and rehearsing eleven hours a day, rehearsing every week day for an hour and a half, and having most of my saturdays taken up by performing has amounted to nothing... except a Withdraw and me having to take band for another two semesters. ****ing commies.

# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/31/2006 12:23 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyWhy doesn't my school have a class like that? Maybe it does... bah I need to schedule for next semester.

Random stressed thought I'm going to fail band because I missed two shows on Saturday due to personal issue (not being hung over). Sooo... coming to college a week early and rehearsing eleven hours a day, rehearsing every week day for an hour and a half, and having most of my saturdays taken up by performing has amounted to nothing... except a Withdraw and me having to take band for another two semesters. ****ing commies.

why do i feel this is the tip of an iceberg??? ;)
# 3
ren
ren
10/31/2006 10:56 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jptrivia for you -what song and by who had the first distorted guitar sound on a recording? how did it occur?

No idea if it's true, but I've been told it was a guy called Willie Johnson who played with Howlin' Wolf... Song name wasn't part of the tale, but apparently he dropped his amp carrying it into the studio and shook a tube loose... Just enough to be interesting apparently.... do I win? :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/31/2006 6:38 pm
"Zip A Dee Doo Dah" by Bobb E. Soxx & The Blue Jeans

Not sure on the specifics of how though.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/01/2006 6:19 am
eric ...you little googler --that was like 1957 or so:cool: wrong!!! it was "Rocket 88" 1951 by Jackie Brenston...amp fell out on highway 61, shook a tube loose, they liked the way it sounded...the rest is history
# 6
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/01/2006 6:24 am
eric ...you little googler --that was like 1957 or so:cool: wrong!!! it was "Rocket 88" 1951 by Jackie Brenston...amp fell out on highway 61, shook a tube loose, they liked the way it sounded...the rest is history...

from wikpedia and what i learned in my rock class---

Working from the raw material of jump blues and swing combo music, Turner made it even rawer, starting with a strongly stated back beat by drummer Willie Sims, and superimposing Brenston's enthusiastic vocals, his own piano, and tenor saxophone solos by Raymond Hill. The song also features one of the first examples of distortion, or fuzz guitar ever recorded, played by the band's guitarist Willie Kizart. The legend of how the sound came about says that a tube amplifier was damaged on Highway 61 when the band was driving from Mississippi to Memphis, Tennessee but Phillips liked the sound and used it.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/01/2006 9:12 am
Well, ya can't win'em all. I found that on Gold Star Recording Studio's web site "Zip A Dee Doo Dah - Bobb E. Soxx & The Blue Jeans (first distorted lead guitar on a hit record)." Just found out that it was recorded/released in 1962. Wish I had paid attention to that earlier. :rolleyes:

You are correct though. The amp fell off the roof of a car, which smashed the speaker cone. After trying the amp out, they liked how it sounded, because it sounded like a saxaphone.

Basically, what it boils down to is, you can thank good ol' Sippi for starting the popularization of a distorted guitar tone :cool:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/01/2006 8:22 pm
cone damage makes more sense....and when i sing M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I!!!!
it sounds like a furiously bending up and down, highly saturated guitar note ringing out with lots of sustain :cool:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.