Battery troubles

earthman buck
earthman buck
10/11/2006 8:28 pm
My Boss PH-3 phase shifter pedal seems to be draining batteries like you would not believe. I'm not entirely positive if it's the batteries themselves that are running out, or just the LED light that indicates whether it's on or not. Last night at practice I plugged it in, and by the time we played through our half-hour set, the LED light was completely out, but the Phaser still seemed to be working alright. Normally an inactive light would mean the battery is completely drained, but evidently this was not the case. The weird thing is, I changed the battery in it the practice before last night's, and so the light should still have been bright.

It normally wouldn't bother me, because I don't really use the pedal that much, but this show we're playing *sigh* is coming up really soon, and I need it to play our closer. I don't want the battery to crap out halfway through our set or anything, so do any of you have any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/11/2006 9:07 pm
Sounds like there is something wrong with the light if the effect was still working. I've never ran across that problem.....

Take the battery that was in the Phase Shifter and put it in another pedal to check the battery....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/11/2006 9:09 pm
Does the led shine brightly after replacing the battery and then peter out as the night goes on or does it go off abruptly?

Some things to try:

Shake or bump it around a little and see if it comes back on. This could indicate an intermittant connection somewhere.

open the box to see if you see any solder joints look gray and grainy which would indicate a poor connection that need to be reheated. (cold or sometimes called dry solder joint).

Disconnect and reconnect any connectors you can find.

In any event it seems you have something going on with the circuit that lights the led since it still seems to be working.
# 3
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/11/2006 9:13 pm
Hey JFRICK, Checked out the link you posted. Way cool. I like.

Blues man
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.