Question about poor feedback noise

ckandes1
ckandes1
10/09/2006 4:06 am
I really don't know much about the electronics of a guitar and pickups and stufflike that, other than how they BASICALLY work. I can't name the different kinds and styles and all that crap, because really I'm clueless. I just play.

But anyway one of my guitars is a B.C Rich Acrylic "Ice" Edition Warlock (beautiful but heavy as a ton of bricks). It has BSDM (BDSM?) BC Rich pickups. When using any gain, if there is any moment when you dont have you finger on the string that is playing (AKA an open note) there is some noticeable feedback in the background (just like a 'hissss'). Of course when you skin makes contact with the string thats playing, this feedback goes away. I'm, assuming that it has to do with bodyheat, like a touch lamp. Is there any way I can fix this? Or is this just how these pickups are supposed to be?
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
10/10/2006 6:49 pm
theres a couple things that could make it hiss.

a bad cord, crappy amp. etc.

speaking of amp, whats do you use?

most amps without a noisegate have this problem, you just kinda learn to live with it I guess. sooo, if it really bothers you, you can use a noisegate! woo!

I dont really know any good brands for one, mines built into my amp and another in my effects processor.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
ckandes1
ckandes1
10/10/2006 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91theres a couple things that could make it hiss.

a bad cord, crappy amp. etc.

speaking of amp, whats do you use?

most amps without a noisegate have this problem, you just kinda learn to live with it I guess. sooo, if it really bothers you, you can use a noisegate! woo!

I dont really know any good brands for one, mines built into my amp and another in my effects processor.

my amp is a Fender Frontman 100 watt - 215R i think? something like that 2--R lol. The problem isn't the cord or anything like that
[FONT=Courier New]
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 3
OSdave
OSdave
10/10/2006 8:37 pm
It could be a couple different things. First of all, you could have a bad ground in the guitar somewhere. If it's pretty new and you haven't messed with the 'guts', that's probably unlikely.

The more likely possibility is electrical interference (though this is more common with single coil pickups). Stage lights, fluorescent lights, etc. can cause annoying hissing/feedback. Try moving around the room and see if the noise decreases... If so, stay there and don't move! :D
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/10/2006 10:27 pm
I'm betting on it being a ground problem.....Could be in the electronics of the guitar itself or a bad cable.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
10/11/2006 1:25 am
Originally Posted by: ckandes1my amp is a Fender Frontman 100 watt - 215R i think? something like that 2--R lol. The problem isn't the cord or anything like that

ah, so is that the reverb one?

okay, I used to have a Frontman, had the same problem with a strat. I traded both for a bigger amp and an SG. I found the problem was worse with the reverb on like, at all. thats to be expected because reverb just is a pain when it comes to feedback.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/12/2006 2:18 pm
Try moving your amp to a different room and plug it into a different outlet, or try it out at someone elses house. My amps are dead quiet here in my music room, because it's outlets are on a different circuite, but they're a bit noisy in other rooms of my house. At my drummers house, they can get quite noisy. I also get that electrical buzzing from my guitar when not touching any strings, but then it will go away as soon as I touch them. This is usually caused by poor grounding, old wiring, or bad connections.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Jerkey
Jerkey
10/17/2006 3:48 am
I get the same hiss out of my Peavey Delta Blues. My Les Paul makes more noise than my Strat HSS and my G&L ASAT Classic. I do have a little old wiring in my house which is prolly the culprit.

Mike
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.