my wrist hurts

eclecto69
eclecto69
10/07/2006 4:06 pm
so i was playing mah geetar today, felling completely normal, until
i reached for a 22nd fret bend and all of a sudden this tingling sensation shot down my wrist and scared the crap out of me. it wasn't painful or anything, kinda like when you hit your funny bone, it was just startling and felt REALLY weird. so if there are any physiologists out there, maybe you have some knowledge as to what it was (its happened a few times before as well), cuz it's got me a little worried

thanx guys
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
10/07/2006 5:17 pm
It's probably just because you don't do 22nd-fret bends all that often. Maybe a bit of warming up before playing would help.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/07/2006 6:06 pm
I have similar pains now and then aswell. I don't know what it is, but I do know that my joints, bones, and tendons have all been through hell over the years. I don't think it's anything to really worry bout. Like earthman said, it's probably just because it's not something you're used to doing, and you should always stretch your hands before playing, and warm up before doing any serious playing.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
10/07/2006 9:23 pm
haha. funny coincidence that i asked my doctor the same damn thing a few weeks ago when i went in there to get my neck checked out (some minor strep-throat garbage). its carpel tunnel. not to freak ya out; it doenst mean you just did something irreversable. it just means lay of playing guitar till it doesnt do it anymore. simple as that. its just a thing that anyone can get from over-flexing tendons, or in a pianists or guitarist's case, cramping your carpel muscles and giving it a numb-ish kindof feeling. i had it bad a few times some years ago, i would wake up and my whole left hand would be numb. scared the hell out of me. really, its nothing big, but it CAN become something big if you ignore it and fight through pain.

ps: typing on a keyboard gets your tendons worked up just as much as guitar would, so choose wisely in certain situations :/
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
10/08/2006 5:33 am
Yup. Sounds like a possible carpal tunnel thing. In my day job, I handle insurance claims and see a lot of carpal tunnel claims come across my desk. In reading the medical reports, I note that that little 'sizzle' pain that runs down the wrist CAN be C.T. *NOTE the POSSIBLE in there.* But like the others said, it could be nothing more than just a cramp in the hand.

In other words, get your doc to take a look at it and warm up your hands before you play
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/08/2006 3:12 pm
meh just lay off the guitar for a while and try not to strain it too much...i reckon its just a cramp thingy..ive had it before and i just relax afterwards...

coffee is good
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6
eclecto69
eclecto69
10/08/2006 3:49 pm
thanks for the advice

don't worry, i typed this with my right hand :p
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.