Help!Ican't sing AND play at the same time!

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
08/31/2001 4:01 pm
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've only been playing for a year, though i'm quite capable, but i cant sing and play at the same time... even really simple stuff, i just lose the rythem and eventually stop all together...

Anyone know of any exercises? or wether this is just because i'm still a fairly new player?

# 1
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
08/31/2001 4:08 pm
Dont worry, even BB King cant sing and play at the same time,
at least thats what he says.
Try this,
while playing a note try to sing it, play a scale and sing every note at the same time. Start from simple things, dont try to sing songs if you cant.

Peter
# 2
guitarmik
guitarmik
08/31/2001 4:19 pm
I found it really difficult at first and still do.
When i started a band i found i had to learn not only to play my parts on guitar but learn backup vocal lyrics,which i found really difficult.My teacher taught me to tap my foot in time to the song,and play along sort of like a metronome,when i found i could do that with ease,she then said now start singing some of the lyrics,not all at first,just a few,and then more as i got used to doing all three-paying,singing and tapping my foot.I found it easier to learn the lyrics first until i knew them off by heart,then i would make sure i knew my guitar parts,and then try and put it together.Even now there are some songs we do that i just can't sing backups to because the parts i play in certain songs are just too busy for me to do both.
Besides I've got 3 other people in my band that can cover most of the vocals and i can concentrate on being the guitar player!!!Hope i've helped in a little way,your other option is just don't sing,it seems to work for Satriani and Vai!!!!!!!!
# 3
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
08/31/2001 4:41 pm
the problem is a I CAN sing, which makes me feel that just playing guitar is not enough, or not all that i can do... god that sounded arrogant...
Basically i need to sing and play, cos i love doing harmonies with poeple (ok, i come out i like the Beach Boys)...
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/31/2001 8:51 pm
I know it's really obvious, but it seems to have escaped most people who've answered so far.
Sing songs. Just sing them song to start with!!! To start with, just get the basic chord progression whilst singing. Then focus on getting the actually rhytym. It's a bit of a slow process, but as time goes on it gets quicker and quicker.
My main probably was until quite recently I couldn't sing, now I need to practise. Since you can sing, it's just a case of taking the time to get it all nailed.
I know it's really really plain to see, but sometimes you just need someone to point it out to you!!!
Good luck, let us know how it goes. Hope I helped some.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/01/2001 6:40 pm
thank you. But the problem is i cant even manage to sing and play "Molly's lips", which is just G5 G5 C5 C5 C5, let alone "hey joe".
I'm quite gratful for your advice, i'll give all of them a try, and i'll tell you how it's going in a while.
# 6
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
09/01/2001 11:24 pm
Originally posted by educatedfilm
(ok, i come out i like the Beach Boys)...

Say it proud, brother.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/02/2001 5:17 am

I don't like to sing, but with some effort I can manage it while just strumming chords. When I try to do anything complex, the lyrics just go out the window.

As with anything else, the bottom line is that you just have to practice.

Whenever I've tried to learn a song with the lyrics I've found it helpful to play and sing along with the CD or tape. This way you don't have to think so much about what the lyrics are and you can concentrate on your guitar part more while singing.

The other option (this is the option I would recommend) is to just remain a guitar player and find and team up with a lead singer.
# 8
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
09/04/2001 12:08 am
only thing i can sing and play is Blink182's "All the Small Things" pathetic. i should be shot
# 9
twisted_metal_guitarest
twisted_metal_guitarest
09/11/2001 2:25 am
i am a singer gurtarest, (cause a singer alone is NOT a musician)umm.... the best thing to do is learn the guitar whill learning the words too. that way you get it in your head to do those two things at once. or learn words real well then learn the guitar it takes awile 'cause it ain't the easyest thing to do but you must be paticant and be able to relearn some times..
metal rulez!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
09/11/2001 3:22 am
A lot of the times, we find it to be very pointless, but it's very important for any musician to be able to play guitar (beyond simple three chord progressions) and sing. I think it has a lot to do with confidence, confidence as a player and a person. I think that once we stand in front of a crowd we can't stop thinking about possibly screwing up, and when we have to sing and play at the same time, it can be rather overwhelming. The best advice I can give you is Practice, practice, practice. But also practice feeling comfortable in front of others, start with your (imediate family) then you frirends, and etc...

You'll get it, eventually, as long as you never give up. And "All of The Small Things by Blink, after a while it really starts to get on your nerves. Try singing along to "Spoon Man" by Soundgarden, it's cool!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/12/2001 9:42 am
Thank you very much for your advice, i can actually play "molly's lips" and sing at the same time now, i know it's not very much to be proud of, but its a start. At least i now know it's not impossible for me.
# 12
weirdbeardalso
weirdbeardalso
03/20/2006 3:58 pm
Thank you for these tips as I am having the same problem.
# 13
ncreb
ncreb
03/26/2006 5:19 pm
The first song I learned to sing was "Amazing Grace" cause I knew it really well. After, that I heard Tom Petty's "Free Falling" and I said "hey! this sounds pretty simple to sing" and guess what it was. Luckily I can't sing well so I don't have to do it alot. LOL
# 14
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/27/2006 3:59 am
i had that problem and then one day i could just do both. for me all it took was practice. some songs are easier to sing and play at the same time. today by the smashing pumpkins is one of the first ones i learned to sing and play on. some silverchair songs, on the other hand, are hard as **** sing and play on. anyways my main point as simple as it is, is that it is just a matter of practice, and understanding the rhythms
# 15
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
03/27/2006 4:00 am
i always forget about that censor thingy. gOD thats stupid
# 16
mattoakes
mattoakes
03/27/2006 5:03 pm
Whats yer problem!!!

I cant sing and i'm pretty poo at the guitar still!!
Oh By the way which ones Pink?
# 17
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/27/2006 9:00 pm
instead of singing the song sing the root of the chord you are playing over. after you can do this what you do is sing other notes in the chord when you play it, eg the fith or third. this should allow you to choose these notes. now what you do is when a there is a chord change sing the root note, then sing some other notes in the key, notes in the chord should be easier.

also start with sinple rythms although make them more complex as you progress.

overall this should help you sing and keep in tune. at least it worked with me.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.