How do i sing and play at the same time

charlebois
charlebois
10/01/2006 11:34 am
I can somewhat sing - and I can't somewhat play guitar - yet When it comes to doing both at the same time I make a mockery of my little talent that I have.

Why .... :confused:

Help me overcome this terrible affliction
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/01/2006 2:48 pm
takes time and practise...same as any other thing...once ur hands get familiarised with the riff...it becomes automatic so u dont have to really concentrate on playing...then just sing along...take it slow...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
10/02/2006 2:17 am
I understand that this is a difficult skill, and unfortunately many people make the mistake that if you can sing and play guitar seperately, then you can play them together. This is definately not the case. I will list a few things to do which will help your coordination of playing and singing at the same time.

1. Internalize both the vocal Melody/Rhythm and guitar accompaniment so you can play them perfectly all the way through at about any speed without stopping (seperately).

2. Once you have done this, slowly connect the two together by singing the vocal melody on "ah" while you are playing guitar so that you can get the right coordination together. You do not need to keep a distinctive tempo/rhythm. Just make sure the syllables are lined up perfectly w/ the guitar and that the pitches are correct.

3. Once you are able to do this slowly, you can begin to say the lyrics and keep a steady tempo. Make sure that everything is rhythmically and melodically correct.

If you follow these three steps then you will see a vast improvement with this difficult skill of singing and playing together.
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2006 4:05 pm
Just practice.

Start humming along with your chord progressions and go fro their !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
speedpicker88
speedpicker88
10/02/2006 8:04 pm
actually I don't remember how I started. As soon as I started playing guitar, I started singing and writing. I guess it just came to me. But as stated above. all it takes is practice and time.
"Fire, to being whipping dance of the dead, blackened is the end, to being whipping dance of the dead, color our world Blackened."
# 5
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/02/2006 9:01 pm
I've been playing guitar for almost 18 years and still can't sing and play at the same time....

Well, some things I can as long as the guitar and the vocals "follow" each other. I have a hard time playing one melody and singing a different melody.

Guess it takes a lot of practice. I'm not really a singer, so I never really worked on it.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
acapella
acapella
10/03/2006 2:57 am
I will give you some advice. Although I am not a very good singer, I find that practicing a part on your instrument until you can play it without thinking about it will make it easy to sing at the same time.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 7
guitarboy313
guitarboy313
10/03/2006 6:11 pm
Well I've been playin for a while and I still workin on that you got to know the song good with the chords. A song to do that with is Trees by Marty Casey it's pretty easy and chords are easy to follow and words are easy to remember.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything is over rated except guitars drums basses and pianos.[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.