Floyd Rose

Buzz
Buzz
06/13/2000 4:13 am
The main difference is how the gtr is strung. Most floating bridges you have to run the string either through the back of the bridge or the back of the gtr. With the Floyd Rose you acatually cut the little ball off the end (or thread the string backwards) and basically "clamp" the bridge end in with an allen wrench bolt. It's not that difficult at all. In my experience it's a real good way of stringing a gtr, probably why it's patented. As far as body work on a Fender Strat..... that would all depend on what bridge the Fender has on it to begin with. If it's not a floating bridge then... yes there will be major body work. If it's a floating bridge but it rests primatily on top of the gtr's surface there will be a lot of body work as well. The Floyd Rose rests in a cavity cut out of the body. Best best would be to take the Fender to a pro and ask him exactly what would need to be done and $$$. I wouldn't sugesst just swapping bridges. Intonations can be thrown WAY off if you don't take them into consideration whenever adjusting a bridge of any sort. Hope this helps.
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 1
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/13/2000 7:22 am
how do this trem work and to put it on a fender strat would there have to be work done to the body? And what's the deal with the locking nut and trem, allen wrench and all that stuff. Just curious, i want an ibanez but i want a fender strat more and i like the way the floyd trem sounds so that's why i'm asking.

peace out,

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 2
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/13/2000 5:15 pm
Thanx, i just may buy a Fender Heavy Metal strat instead.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 3
Rockinstrat
Rockinstrat
06/21/2000 10:40 pm
All the guitars i have tried dont have floyd roses, but im getting an Ibanez soon, and i just had one question, kinda stupid, what are those black things that come out of itthere like black circles or something, not sure, like i said have never really been close to one, so what are they?
# 4
Buzz
Buzz
06/22/2000 4:14 am
Rockinstrat..... Are you talking about the fine tuning pegs? All they are are additional tunning instruments. since most Floyd Rose briges accompany a locking nut, once you lock the nut down you can't use the pegs on the head to tune anymore or you'll just break strings. You have to string the gtr stretch the strings and tune it first, then lock the nut down. After locking the nut the gtr will be slightly out of tune again so you use the fine tuning pegs to tune it again it's usually less than a 1/2 step out. Actually the locking nut provides much less variation in the strings as far as going out of tune. What trendkillah is talking about are the intonation adjustment bolts. These do not stick out. they are there to fix any problems with intonations. They can be a bitch if they are out. It's best to have a professional fix any intonation problems. Intonations have to do with the physical length of the string between the nut ant the bridge. If it's too long or too short it won't tune to the other strings propperly. You should never mess with these if you don't know what you're doing.
Zeppo... sorry never played on anything with a tune-a-matic bridge can't offer an opinion at all.
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 5
trendkillah
trendkillah
06/22/2000 10:01 am
I don't really know what you mean Rockinstrat, but maybe you wanna have a look at http://www.jacksonguitars.com/techtips/floyd_setup.htm

I wish i would have had that info when i first got my guitar with floyd rose, those things are a bitch to set up if you have to figure out how to do it by yourself!
# 6
zepo
zepo
06/22/2000 2:04 pm
Not to get off the subject of Floyd Roses to much but I was wondering what do you people think of Tune-o-Matic bridges?? Is there a special function they serve??? Thanks for any feedback
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 7
loner92
loner92
07/11/2000 5:47 am
Dude, if you wanta Floyd Rose trem, get a Kramer (very affordale, moreso than n overated Fender, as good as any JAckson I've played), Jackson, or ESP. Don't waste your time with Fender for metal stuff, Fender is way overrated due to their famous name. Ibanez maks good playing guitars, but the stock pickups are crap (unless it's a JEM, which has stock DiMarzios). Go to www.musicyo.com and look around.

# 8
loner92
loner92
07/11/2000 5:52 am
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz:
Rockinstrat..... Are you talking about the fine tuning pegs? All they are are additional tunning instruments. since most Floyd Rose briges accompany a locking nut, once you lock the nut down you can't use the pegs on the head to tune anymore or you'll just break strings. You have to string the gtr stretch the strings and tune it first, then lock the nut down. After locking the nut the gtr will be slightly out of tune again so you use the fine tuning pegs to tune it again it's usually less than a 1/2 step out. Actually the locking nut provides much less variation in the strings as far as going out of tune. What trendkillah is talking about are the intonation adjustment bolts. These do not stick out. they are there to fix any problems with intonations. They can be a bitch if they are out. It's best to have a professional fix any intonation problems. Intonations have to do with the physical length of the string between the nut ant the bridge. If it's too long or too short it won't tune to the other strings propperly. You should never mess with these if you don't know what you're doing.
Zeppo... sorry never played on anything with a tune-a-matic bridge can't offer an opinion at all.

All that crap pays off once you get it tuned, because it's VERY difficult to take a Floyd out of tune, even with huge divebombs.

# 9
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
07/11/2000 7:09 am
I love my floating bridge. My only complaint is that you always have to use the same gauge strings forever unless you know how or pay to get it intonated. My guitar shop cost's $20 for such a thing... Does anyone else think that's a bit steep? But yeah, you can do some cool things with that floating bridge.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.