Tube AMP help

Drew77
Drew77
09/19/2006 10:24 pm
Hey, I bought my first tube amp a while back and now I think it needs new tubes, it is making a wierd noise like someone blowin into a mic. any way, I just wanted to make sure that was the problem and also ask i you guys have any suggestions on where I can get some nice 6L6 tubes. I play heavy mostly so does that makes a difference in the tube I should buy? thanks for any help u can give me.

I have a Peavey Valve King btw. 112.
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/20/2006 12:05 am
I've also got a Valveking 112. Awesome little amp! The stock power tubes are crap! I put a set of Ruby 6L6's in mine, simply because I had some extras laying around, and it made a noticable difference. It was noticably louder, and had more definition to the tone. I would also highly suggest JJ 6L6's. Those are some great sounding power tubes as well.

Not sure what to tell you about the hum. I would start with your cables. A bad cable can make that "blowing into a mic" sound. Does the amp make the noise without anything plugged into the input? I'm not sure what to tell you if that isn't it. If it's not your cables, I would suspect the preamp tubes to be the culprit of that noise, but I could definitely be wrong on that. Power amp tubes usually wear out long before preamp tubes do. When they do, it will normally cause a loss in volume, sudden volume drops, blown fuses, etc... Do a forum search on the topic. There have been numerous threads about tube amps making funny noises.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Drew77
Drew77
09/20/2006 6:26 pm
alright. thx.

I figured out that it was my cord, followed ur advice and turned it on with nothing in, then with just my cord and it made that sound. This pisses me off though because I just bought this cord a little while ago. its a 21 foot Monster cable and I was told they were good. I would almost rather it be the tubes cause I want to replace them anyway. Thanks though, I never would have thought of that on my own.

I think I'm gonna replace the preamp tubes too and try and get a better distortion out of this baby. But yeah I agree for th money I've never played an amp that rivals this own, not even close. Could be a little more metal friendly though. Thanks again.

Hey do cell phones permanently damage pickups? or is it the tubes. one of them is beeping at me as if a cell phone is going off in my pocket, but it could just be my cell phone... I dont know I just want to make sure Im not ****ing up my equip. w/ my cell phone.
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/20/2006 6:43 pm
Cell phones will make electrical equipment make some funny beeping noises.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
09/20/2006 7:11 pm
The cell phone won't hurt the guitar or the amp.....

Doesn't Monster Cables have a lifetime warrenty.....Just take it back and they should replace it for free...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.