View post (Satch and Vai)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
09/21/2006 12:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Lao_Tzuback to the main point of this topic which was to help my skills. i see what ur saying jimmy and im greatful for ur concern but i can handle myself. let it go. if u google my name ul see what i mean. yes anywho is there anymore stuff out there.?

I cant tell you how many players I have played with who have learned almost note for note every song they love by there favorite players. And boy they at first shock, and impress me with there abilities, but after they have played me all the songs they have under there belt then comes the point where its time to get off other peoples matieral, and have some fun with some improvisation. You know horsing around trying to come up together with some good sounds working to stay in key with each other one working rhythm, and the other working in the lead. You know just having some fun trying to be creative. Usually this is the point where I realize they havent the slightest idea of what musical knowledge was put into creating the songs they have put so much time, and effort into learning. And there lack of the fundamentals becomes apparent when they are not able to improv along with me in any sort of key knowledge, or very little, getting lost, and out of time with the sequence Im trying to create for them so we can play along with each other. And for me that is some of the most fun getting a good improv jam going.
My point is just because you can play someone elses song note, for note, and with simular technique does not mean you in any way possess the vast knowledge,and skill level of that gutiarist, your just copying their material, and picking up parts of their style without knowing the reasoning put into the composition. The majority of these type players, (not all), but most of those who concentrate on learning the licks of there heros, should also put just as much effort into learning the musical structures, key, and principals underlieng the song there learning. And definitely study music theroy, and diatonic function with chords, and scales, and modes just as stringently as learning the players songs you admire. This is of course a start ( where we all start), but once you figure out you can, and like to play gutiar let it be known that those 10, or 20 hour practice sessions ( I wish I had your energy ) need to have at least half that time devoted to Theroy, Technique, and basic musical understanding, and looking deep into the players you idolize for there take on the above mentioned fields of study is the best way to get into there heads as for how and why they put there sounds together in the ways you seem to like.
This may already be what you are doing. And you certainly have found some excellent role models. I am mainly writing this for those who may not fully grasp the requirements for becoming gutiar Gods. Form the sound of it you have the drive. Just think of it like this. Ok I can play Joe Satrianis songs just like his sound, now can I make a song of my own up that will blow a audience away like he, or Steve Via can, and what knowledge will be required to compose such skillful style, and after I play that song can I throw the audience some off the cuff improvisation with confidence, and possibly handle a 15, to 20 song set list with equally complicated songs.
Your claimed gutiar practice ethic show you have the desire, just be careful of burn out, and try to keep friends for band members who share your goals, and can hang in there with you, and like the same type of styles, and you may go all the way. Trying to do it all by your self will limit the advantage of having other opinions, and help with learning. Two, or more heads are better than one. Finding the right heads is the key.
( Tip ) Finding a singer that can peel the paint of the walls would go great with such monster gutiar sounds.
I know Satriani, and Vai are mostly solo artists, so that may be your thing, but still surounding yourself with good musicians is the best way to learn new things starting out, ( You may not be starting out, im just saying for those who are ).
Wow, 10, to 20 hour practice sessions. I bet you need super glue to fill in the holes in your fingers to keep playing? Awesom dude!