Wolfmother

acapella
acapella
09/13/2006 3:44 pm
I just got the new CD, and on the first listen I must say it's pretty awesome. It's like a combination of earlier rock (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin) and heavily influenced by the White Stripes. I especially like the jazz flute solo in Witchcraft. Anybody else have it? Opinions?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
09/13/2006 4:00 pm
i think they sound alright.....better than alot crud that is out there...i saw a live show of them on t.v. and they really sucked......sloppy as hell.......the studio definately helped them
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
acapella
acapella
09/13/2006 4:21 pm
Yeah, Brendon mentioned that. He said they played that song "Apple Tree", and it was awful. I don't know if it was meant to be, but I find it hilarious. I think my favourite song is probably "Joker and the Thief", because it's the one I listen to constantly.
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
09/14/2006 12:17 am
I love Wolfmother, great band. There are quite a few bands around trying to make it with the Zeppelin-Floyd-Sabbath mashup approach, but I think they're the best at it. My favourite tracks on the album are "Where Eagles Have Been" and "Colossal". Hopefully, they will continue to grow creatively; it would be a shame if their next album was just a rehash, or worse, a shameless pitch to the indie-pop crowd.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
09/15/2006 1:37 pm
hey, i've seen footage of them live at the big day out and they weren't bad. They are good for a modern band? Did anyone mention Deep Purple as an influence for them.

Actually, until i discovered Sabbath i was really into them and i read an interview with their singer. He quoted" Our music is like, if the bee gee's and black flag went into the desert, took acid and jammed." What u think?
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
09/15/2006 4:41 pm
Originally Posted by: thebluesbreakerHe quoted" Our music is like, if the bee gee's and black flag went into the desert, took acid and jammed." What u think?

I liked Wolfmother a lot more when they were called Led Zeppelin...

I hear people constantly saying that they're a mix between Floyd, Sabbath, and Zeppelin... Well... in all actuallity... Zeppelin is a mixture of Floyd and Zeppelin... so by default... Wolfmother is just Led Zeppelin.

I've had the album for quite some time now... since it first came out... long before all the teenage Zeepelin fan/wannabes found out about them... It's a good rock album... better than most. But I can't give too much credit in the arena of originality...

And the song "Vagabond" sounds like it came straight from a White Stripes album... which is not a good thing.

The Mars Volta > Wolfmother
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/15/2006 6:22 pm
I've never heard the Mars Volta, but I'm going to see the Chili Peppers next week and they're supposed to be the opening act.
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
09/15/2006 6:27 pm
It's not Zeppelin... it's not Pink Floyd... but it's a healthy mixture of the two. Fruscianti (sp?) the guitarist for the Chili Peppers played most of the guitar leads on their Frances The Mute album... and Flea played a pretty mean trumpet solo here and there. It's some trippy rock/jam type stuff. If you dig Zep or Floyd you should enjoy it.
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/15/2006 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIt's not Zeppelin... it's not Pink Floyd... but it's a healthy mixture of the two. Fruscianti (sp?) the guitarist for the Chili Peppers played most of the guitar leads on their Frances The Mute album... and Flea played a pretty mean trumpet solo here and there. It's some trippy rock/jam type stuff. If you dig Zep or Floyd you should enjoy it.

Well then, I will like it indeed. :)
# 9
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/15/2006 7:00 pm
mars volta and wolfmotha have prety much the same vocals and style...not to mention same hair..maybe they are the same person (im ignorant of stuff like these, besides the point of me having had a couple of beers as of now)..but yea..trippy nonetheless...both make good music...'woman' is stuck in my head for some reason...bahh...i blame u ppl... :D
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
09/15/2006 7:25 pm
I don't know if I would go as far to say they have the same vocal style... or even musical style... Wolfmother is predominately riff based... taking pages straight out of the Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin book.... The musical styling of Mars Volta is more closely associated as the free form/jam style of Pink Floyd... I haven't heard their newest album... I'm speaking from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's Solo works... aswell as De-Loused, Consortium, and Frances the Mute..... As for Vocal styles... Half of the Frances the Mute album is in Spanish................. Or uses vocal synthesizers... The album is set up as a story that goes from chapter to chapter seemlessly... Not like a track by track album... I wouldn't call Mars Volta and Wolfmother the same kind of band ever...

Not taking anything away from Wolfmother... they've done a great job of exploiting the uprise in young teens' infatuation with music from the late 70's like Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Pink Floyd.... And they do it decently well... sure, every band since Zep, Sabbath, and Floyd use the template laid out by one of the three....... but it's hard to listen to a band that doesn't just use the template... but uses the elements, the structure... I'd rather listen to something that's more original. Wolfmother is a good band. It'll be interesting to see if they can stay around for more than one album.... ala.... The Darkness.
# 11
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
09/16/2006 3:02 am
woohoo Mars Volta!
War?
# 12
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/16/2006 4:12 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaI just got the new CD, and on the first listen I must say it's pretty awesome. It's like a combination of earlier rock (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin) and heavily influenced by the White Stripes. I especially like the jazz flute solo in Witchcraft. Anybody else have it? Opinions?

it's just some people who combined sounding like foghat and deep purple.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 13
acapella
acapella
09/18/2006 3:56 pm
Actually, I don't really think that they sound that much like Zeppelin at all. Unless by "Zeppelin" you just mean anything that sounds good, in which case yes, they sound like Zeppelin.
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
09/18/2006 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Kathmanduwoohoo Mars Volta!

Amen to that! Can't wait to get my hands on Amputechture (or whatever the new one is called :o).
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
rockonn91
rockonn91
09/18/2006 9:31 pm
yeah, ive listened to MV's new album on myspace, and yeah, its very floydesque. real trippy, i'll probably buy it.

as for wolfmother, a couple of my friends like em, so I guess i'll jump on the bandwagon and listen to them now too.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 16
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/19/2006 3:21 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaActually, I don't really think that they sound that much like Zeppelin at all. Unless by "Zeppelin" you just mean anything that sounds good, in which case yes, they sound like Zeppelin.

i think the only way that they sound like zeppelin is that they both steal from older artists that the current generation has never heard of.

/still thinks deep purple + foghat is a better description of their "sound." highway star immediate comes to mind when i hear them.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 17
acapella
acapella
09/19/2006 3:42 pm
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusi think the only way that they sound like zeppelin is that they both steal from older artists that the current generation has never heard of.

Nice! Rep points

Except turns out it won't let me. :o
# 18
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/29/2006 8:22 pm
Michael finally let me borrow his Wolfmother CD, so I can now give an informed opinion about Wolfmother:

I think they're alright. Nothing special, but the songs are very catchy. Catchy to the point where I'm almost sure I've heard them before, which leads me to believe they're all stolen from some band I know better.

I don't see the comparisons to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin at all, really, but I definitely see the similarites between them and Black Sabbath. I pretty much think of Wolfmother as a poppier Black Sabbath.

Anyhow, I will admit that I have rocked out to pretty much every song on the album, and I'm only just starting the second listen. Although I don't think the album is anything extraordinary, I will probably end up buying it nonetheless.

The only thing I really don't like about Wolfmother are the lyrics. That half-assed mysticism-and-girls crap should have died before it started.
# 19
dvenetian
dvenetian
10/01/2006 8:25 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaActually, I don't really think that they sound that much like Zeppelin at all. Unless by "Zeppelin" you just mean anything that sounds good, in which case yes, they sound like Zeppelin.

I agree.. To give the ultimate compliment that a band sounds like The Zepp because they play a few triads with some catchy riffs, blows me away. Wolfmother is a good band with a cool sound and a few tunes, period.
Jimmy Page is one of the most complex guitarists ever!!!!!!!!!! His influence and ability to create so many sounds and different melodies separates anyone from comparison. He's a Legend!!!!!! Very few have created a new sound that would allow the title "Legend". How many guitarists sound like Randy Rhodes? Rhodes ability to create unbelievable riffs in his solos was never heard before. He made Ozzy a rich man. EVH deserves respect for his sound. Let's see what the future releases from Wolfmother hold before comparing them to legendary bands.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.