View post (Wolfmother)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
09/15/2006 7:25 pm
I don't know if I would go as far to say they have the same vocal style... or even musical style... Wolfmother is predominately riff based... taking pages straight out of the Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin book.... The musical styling of Mars Volta is more closely associated as the free form/jam style of Pink Floyd... I haven't heard their newest album... I'm speaking from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's Solo works... aswell as De-Loused, Consortium, and Frances the Mute..... As for Vocal styles... Half of the Frances the Mute album is in Spanish................. Or uses vocal synthesizers... The album is set up as a story that goes from chapter to chapter seemlessly... Not like a track by track album... I wouldn't call Mars Volta and Wolfmother the same kind of band ever...

Not taking anything away from Wolfmother... they've done a great job of exploiting the uprise in young teens' infatuation with music from the late 70's like Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Pink Floyd.... And they do it decently well... sure, every band since Zep, Sabbath, and Floyd use the template laid out by one of the three....... but it's hard to listen to a band that doesn't just use the template... but uses the elements, the structure... I'd rather listen to something that's more original. Wolfmother is a good band. It'll be interesting to see if they can stay around for more than one album.... ala.... The Darkness.