Guitar with Floyd Rose

Krunek
Krunek
09/11/2006 8:03 am
Ok, after months of struggle, I have finally decided to get a guitar with a Floyd. I do a lot of tremolo work, and I have an Ibanez GSA 60. It always gets out of tune. Of course, every time I get wasted (which would mean on every gig, hehehe. ;) ) I have this not good habbit of tossing the guitar round, spinning it, hitting it, pulling it along the mic stand... Not to great for tuning. Whatever. Therefore, I have decided to go with a floyd. A hard decision it was, cause I am not in such a great financial situation. And plenty of guys have told me that a floyd is a real pain in the neck, when it comes to changing strings and so. But still, I shall go for it. So help me out with my decision here. We play all kind of music. Whatever people pay money for.
And I don"t have much money for a guitar. So, my options have narowed to this:
a) Yamaha pacifica 821 DX(second handed). Nice guitar, for the money. Plays well, looks nice. But my ibanez beats it with tone, I tried it out.
b) Squier strat, hss (second handed). Cause it is versatile, and a working horse. And that is what I need a guitar for. For playing, not showing off.
c) Ibanez rg 350 DX. - Cause I love it. I love it. The looks, the feel... Tried it out, plays like butter. But it is much more expensive than previous two.

So, guys (and girls) some advices here would be greatls and deeply appreciated.
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/11/2006 8:12 am
yamahas are tough guitars. it'd probably take the abuse best.

as far as tone...you might beable to get new pickups later for it.

the ibanez rg350dx...if this is the one you love, save up as much as you can and wait a little longer to get it if it's what you want...otherwise i'd suggest the yamaha if you're gonna be impatient about it.

how much are you gonna have to pay for the yamaha?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
Krunek
Krunek
09/11/2006 8:22 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusyamahas are tough guitars. it'd probably take the abuse best.

as far as tone...you might beable to get new pickups later for it.

the ibanez rg350dx...if this is the one you love, save up as much as you can and wait a little longer to get it if it's what you want...otherwise i'd suggest the yamaha if you're gonna be impatient about it.

how much are you gonna have to pay for the yamaha?

In dollars? Pacifica, about $ 300-350. Squier, about the same. Ibanez, about 450 $, but a new one. You sure about abusing? I played pacifica, didn"t feel so tough...
# 3
ren
ren
09/11/2006 10:21 am
I'm an Ibanez Junkie, but have a word of caution on the 350DX... if you're the type of player who batters his kit, the RG may not be the guitar for you.

It has a 3 piece neck, and the headstock is a totally separate piece of wood than the rest of the neck. It will break alarmingly easily at the third fret if you smack it around.

I have 7 Ibanez guitars, and have only had one broken neck (in shipping - I didn't break it). They aren't weak as such, but are not as strong as a neck machined from a single piece of wood.

Not sure it'll cause you a problem, but thought it was worth a mention as you've said you're not too careful with your kit.... The trem is an Edge III rather than a proper floyd - not sure what tuning stability is like on them...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Krunek
Krunek
09/11/2006 11:41 am
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspI'm an Ibanez Junkie, but have a word of caution on the 350DX... if you're the type of player who batters his kit, the RG may not be the guitar for you.

It has a 3 piece neck, and the headstock is a totally separate piece of wood than the rest of the neck. It will break alarmingly easily at the third fret if you smack it around.

I have 7 Ibanez guitars, and have only had one broken neck (in shipping - I didn't break it). They aren't weak as such, but are not as strong as a neck machined from a single piece of wood.

Not sure it'll cause you a problem, but thought it was worth a mention as you've said you're not too careful with your kit.... The trem is an Edge III rather than a proper floyd - not sure what tuning stability is like on them...

Whoa... my friend, you have made me sad now... It would mean, if I grab a headstock and wobble it, I could break it real, real easily?? :eek: :(
That is bad. That is real bad. Now I gotta have me a beer and consider things over. Thanks for the warning though. :( Never thought about that side of the coin... Damn. I do batter my guitar a lot... uhm, damn. Now what? And I love the 350 DX... the white one.
# 5
ren
ren
09/11/2006 11:54 am
It's not going to come off in your hand or anything :eek:

Just making the point that as it's a totally different piece of wood from the third fret back, it's not as solid as it could be - and if you're not as careful as you could be maybe you'll have a problem.

You'd have to hit it pretty hard to cause a problem - les paul's snap if they fall face first... so it isn't just RGs - just something to be aware of.

The higher end Ibanez guitars don't have this, so you could go up the range, but it means more money.

The one I had break was a RG320 - It must have taken a good hit to break like it did. I did glue it back together though, and it's good as new... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Krunek
Krunek
09/11/2006 12:04 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspIt's not going to come off in your hand or anything :eek:

Just making the point that as it's a totally different piece of wood from the third fret back, it's not as solid as it could be - and if you're not as careful as you could be maybe you'll have a problem.

You'd have to hit it pretty hard to cause a problem - les paul's snap if they fall face first... so it isn't just RGs - just something to be aware of.

The higher end Ibanez guitars don't have this, so you could go up the range, but it means more money.

The one I had break was a RG320 - It must have taken a good hit to break like it did. I did glue it back together though, and it's good as new... :D

Uh, no biggie then. I just hit it on the body, not the neck... Uhm, higher end??
My friend, even this has cost me many sleepless nights and calculations...
And I love the 350 DX. It has everything I want... White, white pickguard, 24 frets, locking trem, not ordinary spots, but shark inlays... The only other Ibanez that comes in similar combination is a JEM... And that is totally out of my range... See, I even put a yamaha and a squier as an option, although I would rather have an Ibanez...
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.