Changing tuning keys on a Les Paul ??

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
08/25/2001 7:59 am
Every time i bend a string it goes out of tune,
i have tried different strings, i even tuned a half step lower to reduce the pressure but the strings still go out of tune, so i went to a store to ask for keys, the guy there said that he doesnt have the kind of keys and its almost impossible to find keys like that, and he suggest that i should take a different kind of keys (like those on a Strat) and put them on my guitar.
I dont want to open holes in my guitar!! and hell i have never seen a Les Paul with different keys,

have you ever changed the keys on Les Paul?
what keys did you use?
will that stop it from going out of tune?

Peter
# 1
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
08/25/2001 3:50 pm
Originally posted by BluesShredder
Every time i bend a string it goes out of tune,
i have tried different strings, i even tuned a half step lower to reduce the pressure but the strings still go out of tune, so i went to a store to ask for keys, the guy there said that he doesnt have the kind of keys and its almost impossible to find keys like that, and he suggest that i should take a different kind of keys (like those on a Strat) and put them on my guitar.
I dont want to open holes in my guitar!! and hell i have never seen a Les Paul with different keys,

have you ever changed the keys on Les Paul?
what keys did you use?
will that stop it from going out of tune?

I really don't think its your keys causeing the problem.
And if your tuneing below standard they will go out,
of tune quicker,also if your useing new strings all the,
time.
If your really want better keys put a set of Grovers,
on the guitar.
I can't remember what the les-paul used for keys.
I would say the guy that told you to use fender keys,
on a les-paul should be working at wall-mart in the,
frozen food department............
Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 2
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
08/25/2001 5:05 pm
Thanks for replying,

its really frustrating,
i am trying to play some blues licks and after awhile the strings go out of tune.
I dont know if the problem are the tuning keys, i am just guessing and i wouldnt like to buy new keys and still go out of tune. The keys are quite loose, does that mean they are not good? A new set of keys is certain that it would be ok?
Peter
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/27/2001 2:33 am
If there is a screw holding the 'handle' onto the end of each tuner shaft, try tightening them just enough to make the tuner feel solid again. Make it 'snug' [u]not[/u] really tight!

Something else you should try:

Pluck one of the strings that goes out of tune, and then press on the string at the headstock, between the tuner and the nut. The note should rise, and then settle back to proper pitch. If it stays high, the string is being pinched in the slot in the nut.

You can solve this by changing to a lighter gauge string set, or you can get a guitar tech to adjust the slots for you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.