Practicing in the city

acapella
acapella
09/05/2006 7:59 pm
I assume that most of you who play in bands live in urban areas. Where do you practice? I know that in the city, you can't have loud noise in a lot of places, and out here in Narcisse that doesn't matter because there is nobody around to hear it. But what with graduation coming up and people named Brendon probably moving there, at least some of our practicing will have to be done in the city. So what are your suggestions for places to practice?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/05/2006 8:02 pm
Some Cities have rehersal studios that you can rent by the hour. Split up the cost for each member.

One good thing about those places is that they let you pay in advance and you lock in those times for the weeks you have paid. It will also help keep the band members punctual and on time and not skip out on a practice since there is money involved.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
acapella
acapella
09/05/2006 8:43 pm
Is there an option that doesn't mean spending money?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/05/2006 8:50 pm
AAAH Money -- The bane of all musicians.

Well, you could always practice at someones house or apartment. You'll have to go old school. 10-15 watt practice amps. Snare, Kick and ride only for percussion. (reduces space) I think for like 40$ US you can get these covers for percussion that help reduce the noise from guitar center. Seen em and "played" them once for curiosity. And also you will have to practice at a low volume to keep from having the neighbors complain.

Find out if some one you know (friend, girlfriend) has a house in closest burb or in a "middle" spot and see if they will let you practice there.

Heck, depending on the laws, meet up with acoustics and scaled down drums at the city park and have rehersal there. Keep your case open and you may pick up some extra cash.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 4
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/06/2006 1:27 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaIs there an option that doesn't mean spending money?

Join a club than owns a hall, or a church, and use the premises when they're not being used.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2006 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: Mark PavJoin a club than owns a hall, or a church, and use the premises when they're not being used.

Yup, that's what we always used to do.
Churches, schools, auditoriums, arena's, other peoples houses... anywhere we could scam a few hours.
You kinda need somebody in the band who can get out and schmooze.
If all else fails, it's your parents basement or if they're really nice they'll let you build a soundproofed room in the garage.

If you pay to rent a place though, either take your equipment home every night or be sure the place has decent security and you have insurance.

Try places like the Lions club or Optimist halls. They generally aren't booked on Sundays so you can either get it all day for cheap or barter something like play a free dance.
The bigger the place the better cause you can work on your stage act and get used to playing in a large room on a stage.
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/07/2006 3:01 am
I suggest we gradually morph into a jazz quartet. That way, it won't matter.
# 7
Spiffy
Spiffy
09/19/2006 2:39 pm
I just practice in a shed behind my drummers house until the cops make us turn it down. But if your renting a place i guess you have a problem with landlords. And laws are probably different there then they are in Texas. if you live in an apartment just sit out on a porch or on a balcony with acoustics and watch the people come and listen.
# 8
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
09/19/2006 9:15 pm
Ive been in a few, though I live right near DC, so of course, the whole place is packed! The worth of my house tripled since I moved in 5 years ago!

Im lucky cause my dad owns an automotive upholstrey shop, and its HUGE! I can play as loud as want, with out killing anyone.... :rolleyes:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.