them fingerpicking blueeeess

jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/03/2006 12:37 pm
ok i still have issues with fingerpicking...cos in most videos ive seen (and besideds the fact it looks way cooler :cool: ) i cant seem to make full use of all my fingers when fingerpicking..it slows the song down which i hate..for example

-----------------0-----
---------------0---0---
-------------0---------
-----------0-----------
---------0------------- x4

how would u guys play this? i just go abt this with my right thumb all the way down..thing is it tends to slip alot and i get retarted noises...or sometimes it loses rythm because my thumb just so happen to get stuck between strings...then again when i use all of my other fingers (which are unco , fair enough) , im not getting the sound i want...for this simple picking for example, (not standard tuning), it repeats itself for 4 times and when i use all my fingers, it tends to mute the other strings when i replace them to repeat the riff, which isnt right...it it absolutely necessary to use all fingers? or do i just stick to my way of doing it, just that i need more practise? this part is only a small bit in the song...it includes many other not-so-complexed-but-josh-is-an-idiot picking as well..and i use abt 3 fingers for the whole song which doesnt help cos it slows me down, not up to tempo with the real thing...

thanks
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 1
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/03/2006 4:40 pm
Most of the time when I fingerpick I have my thumb covering the lowest three strings and my first three fingers will pick the top three strings. Your thumb should be almost parallel to the strings while the rest of your fingers are kinda cupped, as though you wre holding a ball in them. Kinda.
# 2
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
09/03/2006 5:38 pm
When i fingerpick i use an alternate picking style, i.e i use my index and middle fingers tp altpick.

The way i would play that would be to pick the low E with my index and then the next string with my middle, then index, middle etc going down. I rarely use my thumb and its way easier for me, although not traditional.
# 3
ren
ren
09/04/2006 2:18 pm
I'd do it as Mark said - thumb covering the lowest 3 strings, index on the G, middle on the B and ring on the e....

If you were learning classical guitar, it's the way they'd do it too....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/04/2006 7:28 pm
Yeah I'm with Mark Pav and zreynoldsp on this one.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/05/2006 12:16 am
awesome guys! had a jam session with a friend of mine last night and thats what he said it shud be done too..hes been playing for 8 yrs now so he should know his stuff too..

woot
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.