Stage Fright

guitar_tito
guitar_tito
09/02/2006 11:59 pm
Whats a good way to fight stage fright and not forget what you have to play because of it?
# 1
thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
09/03/2006 12:11 am
You could do the traditional get wasted and load up on drugs but's that's not good long term one-or short term

Basically you just have to keep doing it, get used to it. Just have fun.
And for how not to screw up practice and quite often mistakes turn into something big people learn from mistakes

ae you doing original songs or covers if they be original just don't act like you screwed up act like it was ment to be there just keep playing

That's me done, bye
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/03/2006 1:22 am
Well...I feel stage fright is just the fear of rejection. Trust me, once you hear people screaming for you, you can take that energy and put it into your performance. Guess a couple beers could help too.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/03/2006 1:45 am
Record you entire nights set the last time you play and then pull out the recording and practice to it every night.

You'll learn to joke around with the other members as well as get used to tuning up between sons.

If there's any glaring errors on the tape.... just screw em up on purpose for a good laugh. Audiences love it when a band screws up as long as you don't look all embarrassed.
Learn your set inside out so that you can play it without even looking at your guitar.

Worst scenerio...if you actually do screw up, try to make it look like you did on purpose or at worst, emphasize it so bad that you lie down on the floor and pretend to die of embarrassement.
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/03/2006 3:51 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeWorst scenerio...if you actually do screw up, try to make it look like you did on purpose

That's good advice. My guitar teacher once told me before my first recital that if I did screw up the song, not to shake my head in disgust or anything like that. Because if you're playing your own songs, no one's gonna know you botched it. And if you're playing someone else's songs, they're just gonna think you're changing it up a bit (and therefore are a musical genius). Crowds are kinda dumb that way, or so I've been told.

I am also reminded of a "Guide to Improvising" I read in Guitar World: If you make a mistake, it's an accident, but if you keep repeating that mistake, it becomes jazz. :)
# 5
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/03/2006 4:42 am
  • Eat properly the day of your gig. You want enough sugar (from carbs, not candy) so that you don't get shaky, but not so much you get wired or bloated.

• Same goes for drinking. Water is your friend. Don't load up on caffeinated stuff or you'll be jittery when the adrenaline kicks in. Don't drink milk, espcially if you'll be singing.

• Visualise the gig a few times beforehand, over several nights. Really take the time to sit down, close your eyes and imagine it vividly all the way through. Pay attention to the clothes you're wearing, how everything sounds, what it smells like, etc. Make sure that you do wear those clothes to the gig. And imagine everything going really well. Picture each song being played in detail--how you're doing it, where you're standing, etc.

• If you are really hyper and nervous do some pushups backstage about 5 minutes before you go on.

• Take deep breaths before you go on stage. It actually does help to calm you.

• Don't play to impress people; it will just put a ton of pressure on you. Do it for fun, for love, for the money--anything but to show off.

# 6
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/03/2006 4:47 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeRecord you entire nights set the last time you play and then pull out the recording and practice to it every night.

That's good advice, too.

Murphy's Law of performing: Your gig will equal your worst rehearsal.

So know the stuff backwards.
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/03/2006 4:54 am
I few shots or beers would help to loosen you up. Just know your limits and not get buzzed enough to mess up your set.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 8
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
09/03/2006 5:39 am
throw up .....violently
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 9
Krunek
Krunek
09/03/2006 1:56 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccI few shots or beers would help to loosen you up. Just know your limits and not get buzzed enough to mess up your set.

I always have a stage fright before playing. Especially if someone I know well is watching... You know, you hear that little voice in your head saying; don"t mess up, don"t mess up... And then you do. Well, I do it the old fashion way...
A few shots of something hard. It looses me up. But I avoid beer cause it makes you wanna got to take a piss. And that causes problems...been there few times.
So, some southern comfort and off we go... Of course, that is probably not the best solution. But it is my way... ;)
# 10
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/03/2006 3:52 pm
Good call on the beer, I didn't think about that.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 11
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/03/2006 4:25 pm
or you can announce beforehand that ur gettin giddy from all the hype..ask for their excuse if u screw up...then just look cool while playing...it makes the whole situation even better... :D
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 12
ren
ren
09/04/2006 2:53 pm
You have to learn to work with it. I've played alot of gigs now over the years, and I still get the shakes... and as some of the other posters have said, it's worse when people I know are watching...

Drinking / Drugs are options I've used in the past, and they get you through the night, but they don't get you past stage fright. The truth of it at least for me is that I'll always have a measure of stage fright, it's just learning to work with it...

For a start, your vibrato will be amazing! :D

The best thing I ever did was start watching DVD of some amazing players... I've seen epic screw ups by John Petrucci, Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather in the last week. Like the other guys have said, just move past it.... people barely notice, and some will think you've decided to do a clever 'live' version...

It's all about confidence. Ultimately, if you have enough self belief you barely care what people think anyway. It comes with time. I played my first few live performances at local Jam nights - that way it was all improvised so no-one could say I screwed up with any certainty, and nobody knew who I was, so no embarrassment!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
09/05/2006 3:24 pm
when a band plays and a guitarist makes an obvious mistake, the WORST thing they can do is make an angry face!!! you must shrug it off or even better laugh about it :D your conduct on stage has a direct effect on the the crowds feeling toward you..if you make a mistake and look pissed the crowd will take that to mean you would rather not be here playing for them....they rarely think your mad because you muffed that note...the crowd feels/feeds off your energy so you must convey you are having fun and in turn they will enjoy the show.
here is an example of a dumbass http://stupidity.com/play-8264-Axl_Rose_Walks_Off_Stage.html
# 14
ren
ren
09/05/2006 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jp...here is an example of a dumbass http://stupidity.com/play-8264-Axl_Rose_Walks_Off_Stage.html

What a brilliant example of what not to do... :D funny...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 15
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
09/05/2006 3:38 pm
;) ................. :D
# 16
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/05/2006 3:55 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jphttp://stupidity.com/play-8264-Axl_Rose_Walks_Off_Stage.html

I don't think anyone could take him seriously in those tiny white shorts. :eek:
# 17
guitar_tito
guitar_tito
09/05/2006 5:03 pm
Right on guys thanks for all of the good advice, I'll keep all of those ideas in mind and try not to put pressure on myself, hey I'll even probably do 2 shots of tequila and a whole bottle after the gig haha ....thanks.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.