View post (Stage Fright)

View thread

ren
ren
09/04/2006 2:53 pm
You have to learn to work with it. I've played alot of gigs now over the years, and I still get the shakes... and as some of the other posters have said, it's worse when people I know are watching...

Drinking / Drugs are options I've used in the past, and they get you through the night, but they don't get you past stage fright. The truth of it at least for me is that I'll always have a measure of stage fright, it's just learning to work with it...

For a start, your vibrato will be amazing! :D

The best thing I ever did was start watching DVD of some amazing players... I've seen epic screw ups by John Petrucci, Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather in the last week. Like the other guys have said, just move past it.... people barely notice, and some will think you've decided to do a clever 'live' version...

It's all about confidence. Ultimately, if you have enough self belief you barely care what people think anyway. It comes with time. I played my first few live performances at local Jam nights - that way it was all improvised so no-one could say I screwed up with any certainty, and nobody knew who I was, so no embarrassment!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com