What do you think's gonne be the next big trend?

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/22/2001 4:51 am
I dont think anybody really knows, theres just too much to name, but some of the things that I have thought that could be the next new trend would be covering songs, I think Alien Ant Farm or 0rgy made people realize that older songs can be good if there done by sombody else, but I mean they totally took good pop bands from the 70's or 80's and turned them into Heavy Metal kick @$$ songs.

I have also noticed awesome bands comming from the U.K. recently, I've been watching MTV2 late at night and its funominal to see all the good bands that are on so late, i think that big commercial Music television networks like MTV or VH1 need to pay more attention to these bands that seem to be always comming in last because they re-run Backstreet Boy and Britney Spears video's.

Your thoughts?
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/22/2001 3:21 pm
I predict that we will soon see the monster amp stacks disappear from stages.

Check it out!

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2001

This came up a while ago on another thread. If I can find it, I'll post the link here.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/22/2001 3:33 pm

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1455

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/24/2001 2:08 am
I don't care what the next trend will be. It really could be anything. Hell, maybe even my band (fat chance... which is a good thing). Anyway, I don't see much point in sweating it. The Biz will do what The Biz will do.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 4
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/24/2001 2:26 am
wow ur opinons suck ass
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/24/2001 3:12 am
... and that last misspelled belch from Mr. Vai was nothing like well informed, thoughtful debate.

It sounds to me like Rask is gonna steer his own course, regardless of the trendsetters. That's probably the best choice. If what you do happens to gain wide acceptance and popularity, you don't have to warp yourself into uncomfortable positions just to make a living. And if the trendoids look elsewhere, there are worse fates than to have a small, but loyal following.

The Biz is [u]not[/u] about music!

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/24/2001 3:57 am
wow you have really crap ideas....
j/k. You've got to admire the honesty I guess, maybe more people should just come out and say that in conversation. I can just imagine: "Wow mr Dalai Llama, I never realised how much you suck", or "gee God, have you, like, been on drugs or something, cause what the hell were you thinking?"
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
08/24/2001 4:14 am
I think everyone knows by now that music always goes in cycles, why you ask? Well, because there are too many "rockstars" who feel the need to cling onto the talent and creativity of others instead of figuring out what works for them, making a good representation of their personality.

So, In the meantime I'll just wait for some honest rock music. Hey, It could be from just about any catagory, as long as it's an honest expression of the "Musicians" abilities. But that's not something that we see very often in the mainstream...:(

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/24/2001 2:22 pm
i dont think there's such a thing "the big trend", however i must say that since nirvana's "smells like rock dying" the trend is to make the music as simple as possible, and im not talking about the music as whole but about lead guitar only... you just dont have players like SRV, Page , blackmore, etc any more. the only two types of rock players we have today is travis's lead kind which got nothing to do with lead guitar at all and the metal type, who are often have great technical abilites, but lacks any feeling and emotion in their music
i really hope that one day there'll be a SRV kind of music trend, so people like me will be able to watch MTV all day long
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 9
Joseph
Joseph
08/24/2001 5:49 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin
I must say that since nirvana's "smells like rock dying" the trend is to make the music as simple as possible...

With Nirvana, I think most musicians have misread their intentions. Most people, in following in their footsteps have focused on the simplicity of their music, and the idea that they don't have to try so hard to be successful, but they really missed the point. What Nirvana's music did, (at least for the first few years) was give people the confidence to be themselves, in recording the type of music that best represented their personality. However, there's always a down fall towards every good thing, and of course there's always a lot of confusion.

Of course the copy cat syndrome is much more tempting than trying to rely on your own natural abilities, because most people( well it seems like) they would much rather take the safe road instead of truly figuring out who they are through music!!!

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 10
stratman42
stratman42
08/24/2001 6:38 pm
Lydian are the next big trend. Thats the band i'm in. and as far as combined old style metal with new, thats us all over. look out for it
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/25/2001 3:46 pm
What's going to happen is that soon people will get sick of what they're hearing. Somebody who sounds different will come along and everybody will be "Refreshed." Initially thier will be a couple of bands that kinda sound similar, but are all original, but three years from then they'll be heavily imitated and people will be getting sick of that too. It is a cycle and we've all seen it before.

And yes, I do plan to make the music that makes me happy. If I'm lucky enough to get signed and become a world famous rock star, then cool. If not, well, I'll still be playing the music that makes me happy. I'm like anybody in that I like the company of other people and to be accepted, but due to my personality I find myself alone a lot. What that boils down to is that I'm used to not fitting in and so remaining a musical oddity doesn't really bother me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 12
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/26/2001 7:22 am
It seems that people our age who tend to read things like The Idiot perhaps are never going to fit in with the Britneys of the world...
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 13
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/29/2001 9:18 pm
The last 40 years have shown us that 3 types of music will always be popular. Rock, Hip Hop/Rap and the pop music of the moment(whatever its defined as). Over the last 40 years, while one is usually popular the other usually lurk around with the occasional hit. At the moment bubblegum pop or whatever is most popular, hip hop(ganster rap, will Smith ect.) and rock(Nu Metal, Pop-punk ect.) are still thereabouts. Think of all the big music revolutions (Nirvana, The British Invasion ect.) have all involved these 3 types of music. There will be some kind of new revlution soon, probably rock as it is the least popular at the moment, it mightnt be as big as Nirvana but so what) People always get bored and look for new trends.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 14
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
09/04/2001 12:17 am
disco will resurface, and i'll kill myself
# 15
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
09/17/2001 9:56 pm
Originally posted by Mr. Vai
I dont think anybody really knows, theres just too much to name, but some of the things that I have thought that could be the next new trend would be covering songs, I think Alien Ant Farm or 0rgy made people realize that older songs can be good if there done by sombody else, but I mean they totally took good pop bands from the 70's or 80's and turned them into Heavy Metal kick @$$ songs.

The only thing Alien Ant Farm have made us realise is that Alien Ant arm suck.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 16
blackrose
blackrose
09/18/2001 9:50 pm
MXPX has a song called the next big thing...you all should hear it sometime. Anyways, my opinion is that if anything is popular enough to be considered a trend it is probably liked by a bunch of morons with no clue of what music actually is, and should be ignored as such. You all know what i mean, losers like spears and nsync. Dont know a melody from the wrong end of crosseyed platypus. So its pointless debating about whats going to be big next, all you have to do is think of the stupidest thing possible and odds are youre not very far off from the truth.
# 17
Bardsley
Bardsley
09/19/2001 5:26 am
What about the Beatles? They were loved by all the teenagers, etc, and they were one of the greates bands ever. A modern example would be if Nsync released something like Revolver.
# 18
blackrose
blackrose
09/19/2001 1:12 pm
back when the beatles were popular things bacame trendy by being different, nowadays things become trendy by going a long with the currently established popular opinion.
# 19
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/19/2001 1:32 pm
what was the difference between them and any other rock'n'roll band, especialy in the very begining of their career??
today people like different things too, like radiohead for example
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.