View post (For those about to quit...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
09/13/2006 2:41 am
Alright, just a few thoughts after a night of dinner and drinks with the best friend a guy could have. You know the one; the guy who is more a brother than a friend?? Anyway, I was carping about the fact that I can't find a decent instructor around here and the fact that I needed to bail out on two now. I mean, c'mon, if you hire someone to teach you blues guitar and they say "Ah the blues isn't all that difficult. Once you figure out what they're doing, you won't be so enamored with them..." Seriously. They said this. And proceeded to teach me 'Love Hurts' by Nazareth and then spend the rest of the time showimg me how cool they were by playing 'Eruption' and other stuff. (Sure, let me play you some Blind Willie McTell-the guy played like he had 5 hands....)

I was ready to quit too.

I've been playing for a little over a year now and what little I've learned, I've learned on my own. I came to playing the guitar late. I'm 45 years old. Jeez. What the heck am I doing?

But you know what? Playing guitar is one of the only things I've found that actually makes me feel good. You know, relaxed. I may never be very good but I enjoy it and that's good enough.

Thanks for entertaining the rantings of a bleary-eyed fumbling begining guitar player!

:)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]