Slide

Krunek
Krunek
08/09/2006 9:10 am
Saw this thing on the yamaha site a few days ago. It is regular metal slide but it looks like someone split it in half, leaving just a small ring in the bottom to go round your finger. So, by turning it, you have a slide, and then, by turning it again, your finger is free to do fretting. I hope you understand what I mean.
Anyhow, I like using a slide. And it is a pain in the *** getting it on and off while playing. So, I was thinking about going into the music store and trying it out. But, of course, a good advice is always welcome. So, any of you guys have experience with this perticular slide? Or something like that one? Post a thread if you have, please.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/09/2006 6:57 pm
Do you have any links or pics?
I use a small 1/2" slide on my third finger occasionally but like most people, it gets in the way of doing other things.
If there's an invention that would let me use slide instantly and then revert back to regular leads... I'd love to know about it.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 7:56 pm
I think something like this but I dont think it would be too comfortable when turned around.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_shubb_axys_guitar_slide?full_sku=364027%2e119
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/09/2006 8:35 pm
Have you tried a smaller slide that would fit on your pinky?

You would still have the first 3 fingers available for soloing and chording.

I only fart around with a slide and this is the way I use it. Started with the 3rd finger thing but had someone suggest the pinky thing, made sense so I have been doing it ever since.

Biggest problem I have is, eventhough I use my first finger to reduce the vibrations "behind" the slide I still don't like the tone I get.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 4
Krunek
Krunek
08/10/2006 6:09 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeDo you have any links or pics?
I use a small 1/2" slide on my third finger occasionally but like most people, it gets in the way of doing other things.
If there's an invention that would let me use slide instantly and then revert back to regular leads... I'd love to know about it.

Ok guys, one by one. Yeah, the link ninja posted showes what I am talking about. I found it on a different page, but it is pretty much the same thing.
As for comfort, well, playing with a regular slide isn"t very comfortable either, at least for me. So, that is pretty much the same. The thing that worries me
is, when you turn to the non-slide (I shal call it that, for arguments sake)
side, will it not hit the strings when bending your finger. I hope you get what I mean. Been to the music store yesterday, but they don"t have them yet.
If any of you guys can try it out, please do, and post your opinion.
As for jimmy, yeah, I always use my pinkie. But still, the slide gets in a way.
As for you problem, I mute the other strings with my index finger. It just takes
practice. If you feel that you can"t do it, well, you can always aplly slide on the high e and h (your b) string. Play notes there and put the slide on only those two strings, and that is it. Of course, then, you are limited to sound range, can"t play entire chord. It doesn"t sound so good, but... Hope you get what I mean. Sorry if i sound a bit fuzzy, but I am no native english speaker.
# 5
Krunek
Krunek
08/10/2006 9:22 am
Ok, here is where I have seen it...
www.snarlingdogs.com
Like I saed, same thing... I really am curious. If this works out, that would be great.
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/10/2006 2:38 pm
I've seen ones that attach to the headstock of the guitar. Also, you could try using the mic stand as a slide.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
Krunek
Krunek
08/11/2006 4:07 am
As for Akira; I don"t know. Believe it or not, that is the reason I wrote this thread. ;) Dunno. And they don"t have them here yet.
As for Elk, can"t use my mic stand, cause I usually have the upper part under pretty sharp angle, so my lower part is too far. And if I would try to slide it on the upper part of the stand, dunno if I wouldn"t tip it over. Don"t want to risk that. When not playing it, I usually put the slide on low E tuning machine.
But still... If they don"t get those slides by the end of this month, I shall cut one of my regulars in half at work and try it out.
P.S. Thanks to all of you guys for taking time to replying!!!! :)
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.