Diamrzio Coil tap

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/09/2006 3:06 am
Ok. RRRR i just typed a long involved post that got screwed up when i hit reply in my coil tap madness thread. So to summarize it...

A)I have the pups and a push/pull volume

B) From what i understand from the dimarzio site, this is how to wire everything. Solder red wire (hot) and green (ground to 3-way selector)

C)Assume this is the posts of the push/pull.
1_2
3_4
5_6

1- Solder bare wires from 1 to 2 then to ground
3- Solder 2 remaining wires (white and black) (Neck pickup)
4- Solder 3 remaing wires (Bridge pickup)

D)Would I be right in assuming that when the push/pull is pulled, that when in up postion, the switch selects single coil neck. When in center postion it selects single coil neck and single coil bridge, etc...

Help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for all your patience im an electronics noob.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/09/2006 3:16 am
I wouldn't have a clue about electronics either, so I can't help you there :( - but just out of curiosity, what type of pickups have you got?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/09/2006 3:52 am
I don't think that looks right? :confused:

Terminals 3 and 4 in your post look to be the Common connections of a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch. In one position, pin 3 will be connected to pin 1, and pin 4 will be connected to pin 2. In the other position, pin 3 will connect to pin 5, and pin 4 will connect to pin 6.

A basic analogy to help you understand electric circuits is to think of electrons as water, and wires as the pipes that the water (electrons) flow through (current). Voltage can be thought of as the pressure that makes the current flow through the circuit. Switches act like valves that either shut off, or re-direct the current. Resistors restrict the flow through them. Pots are special resistors that allow some of the current flow to be tapped off at points along their length.

A circuit must provide a complete path for the current to flow through, and end up back at the same place. For your guitar, assume that the 'hot' side of the jack will have a path for current to return to the shell (or 'return' side) when the cable is plugged in.

For current to flow in the pickups, there must be a complete path from one side of a coil, through whatever circuit you connect to it, and back to the other side of the coil. Take it from there. The switches and pots add complexity to the picture, but you should always be able to trace a complete path out to the jack and back again.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/09/2006 6:11 am
Great. Thanks for the fast response. Perhaps this is a job best left to a pro.

JJJ-Humbucker from hell in the neck and Tone zone in the bridge
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/10/2006 3:12 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguy... JJJ-Humbucker from hell in the neck and Tone zone in the bridge

I'm considering that combination for my next project. Please let us all know how it turns out.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.