Differentiating Differnt Parts

RGX312l
RGX312l
08/08/2006 2:42 pm
Hi, I am new here and please forgive me if I am starting a topic that has been discussed before.

When recording different parts, for rythem, leads ..etc, what parameters woudl you change to differentiate the parts in the mix?

Using different EQs, differnt location in the sound field, or simply using a completely different tone altogether. What are the other ways ? and under what general situation to use the techniques?

I just use a different tone everytime unless I want to reenforce the part, then I just tueak the EQ a little.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the poor spelling.

RGX312L
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 2:48 pm
Originally Posted by: RGX312lUsing different EQs, differnt location in the sound field, or simply using a completely different tone altogether. What are the other ways ? and under what general situation to use the techniques?
RGX312L

These are all good ways to accomplish what you're talking about. Although for me EQ'ing has more to do with the tone than making something stand out. For me usually a bit of panning works well along with leveling. I have to use a different tone between rythm and leads even if it means adding a bit of overdrive from a pedal or something. If you don't change up the tone a little it just blends with the rythm and to me it sounds like I just changed up the chords or something.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
RGX312l
RGX312l
08/08/2006 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaThese are all good ways to accomplish what you're talking about. Although for me EQ'ing has more to do with the tone than making something stand out. For me usually a bit of panning works well along with leveling. I have to use a different tone between rythm and leads even if it means adding a bit of overdrive from a pedal or something. If you don't change up the tone a little it just blends with the rythm and to me it sounds like I just changed up the chords or something.

I was thinking more of how to do it without using the faders ( if possible at all). Our hearing is frequency sensitive, so 2 sound sources could be at the same SPL but will be perceived as having different loudness if they are occupying different frequency range. I have tried this method by have no success yet. So, I was thinking if this could really work.

# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 3:11 pm
Ther is a member called Dr_Simon who knows more about recording than most of us here. Another that has a bit of recording knowledge is PRSplaya. Maybe you could PM them and give them the link to this thread. They'll be able to help you loads better than i can. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/08/2006 8:05 pm
I posted a link to a couple sites that had some great info about EQ'ing the mix, and recording guitar. You can find the thread >HERE<
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
RGX312l
RGX312l
08/08/2006 11:51 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaTher is a member called Dr_Simon who knows more about recording than most of us here. Another that has a bit of recording knowledge is PRSplaya. Maybe you could PM them and give them the link to this thread. They'll be able to help you loads better than i can. :)

Thanks magicninja! I think I really need some therapy from the Doctor :)

# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 12:09 am
Haha, yeah he's helped alot of us with our recording problems. You should see the ridiculus set up he has! :eek:
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
RGX312l
RGX312l
08/09/2006 2:06 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI posted a link to a couple sites that had some great info about EQ'ing the mix, and recording guitar. You can find the thread >HERE<

WOW, great piece of info PRSplaya. It is the clinic I needed! Thanks for sharing!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.