New to Guitar and Site

SprayTech
SprayTech
08/07/2006 11:52 am
Hello ,

I am 45 and new to the Guitar and am having fun learning something new , even though my old fingers are giving me fits .
I taught myself how to play a 5 string banjo 20 years ago , but laid it down about 12 years back and decided to get it out of the closet and found that getting carpel in my right hand I could no longer get my 3 fingers to pick longer then 10 minutes as pain went up to my elbow :(
So I thought an electric guitar would be easier on the hands .
I traded in my George Washburn B14 Banjo for a new Fender Strat HSS and a new Fender Bullet 150 amp , and have been learning cords for now , but the thicker neck is giving me fits but no pain .

Lots of practicing I hope will get these left fingers to do the right positions for some of these crazy 4-5 fret stretches , as they have been broke and hit with hammers and used up pretty good for the last 30 years due to my profession ( Automotive Paint Technician ) ....LOL

Heres a little of what I do , may not be an interest to most as its not Music related .
http://homepage.mac.com/dwilliams53/PhotoAlbum2.html
http://homepage.mac.com/dwilliams53/My%20Website/index.html

I find learning to play guitar is good for my soul and mental well being !

Now all I need to do is Join here to benefit from all this wealth of information .

Thanks SprayTech
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
08/07/2006 11:59 am
velcome aboard! its great here really..awesome people..
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/07/2006 1:53 pm
Yellow.....
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
08/07/2006 1:55 pm
Welcome to GT!!
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 4
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
08/07/2006 2:49 pm
Welcome, the community here is great and very informative. We are happy to have ya aboard!
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/07/2006 3:52 pm
Welcome to GT! Don't be afraid to ask questions cause there no such thing as a stupid question if your new to guitar.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
08/07/2006 4:44 pm
That rod looks pretty sweet man!! My grandpa use to do historical restorations on old cars from the 30's and 40's. He passed away a few years back though. My dad has a few of his cars... Some old Ford Business coupes and such. They're all restored to their original condition. I've been trying to get my dad to Street rod atleast one of them but to no avail. haha.

Welcome to GT man. There's a ton of info on this site, all you have to do is ask and you shall recieve. I mostly hang out in the gear, tone, and tech forums as I leave a lot of the music theory stuff to the people that study that. If you need any help with any tech related stuff let me know! And once again, welcome to the family... because that's what we are...
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/07/2006 5:00 pm
Welcome to our humble abode. That is some pretty sweet auto work you've done there! I love seeing before and after pics of restored cars and trucks. Keep up the great work, and enjoy your stay!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
SprayTech
SprayTech
08/07/2006 10:22 pm
WOW ,
I get home from work and read everyones nice welcome, Thank You :)

I am just practicing getting my fingers to move and change to different cords faster is what I am working on right now .
But I am more used to picking then strumming , and would like to learn more Arpeggios ( I think thats what they are called ) cords picked one string at a time ?
Would like to find a lesson where I can work the whole neck instead of the first 1-4 frets on cords , as those get kind of old just going over those all evening long .
Just something different to break up the practicing of the same cords .
Any suggestions ??

Again , thank you for all the nice comments and welcomes .

SprayTech
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.