ghost note?

triple_F
triple_F
08/06/2006 5:00 am
i was lookin through the january 2006 issue of guitar world and saw a tab for the master of puppets riff. i've seen a lot of versions of this riff, but in this version, the very first chord of the riff looked like this:

(2)

is the note in parenthesis, one of those ghost notes? how do u tell the difference between ghost notes and tied notes in a tab? how do u play a ghost note? and what is it used for?
# 1
gogogo
gogogo
08/06/2006 2:15 pm
Yes this is a ghost note. In most cases it may or may not be played, and if it is played it is a very subtle note that can usually barely be heard, hence the name ghost note. Or it may have been added in the studio after the fact. There's so many things done in the studio it makes it hard for the average player to totally replacate a song not for note. The best thing to do is play the note and then not play it and see if it really makes a difference in the context of the song. Also I think 95 percent of tabs even in publications are just attempts @ replacating a song and unless the artist was solicited for a note for note replacation of the song a TAB will never be 100% correct. That's all the knowledge I have on this subject. Also try using the search option. I believe remembering this subject being raised for discussion a couple times in the past. Hope that helps you out! ;)
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.