Laptops Vs. Desktops

thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
08/01/2006 4:42 am
Ok the title pretty much explains. Which is better for recording purposes in your opinion.
# 1
blueradish
blueradish
08/01/2006 6:17 am
Quite frankly if the setup is the same on both, ie, Ram, sound card, etc. then it just becomes personal preference. I have my recording setup on both my laptop and my desktop. I prefer the laptop because of the mobility. I can record on the deck in the sunshine, in the garage, basement or take it to a jam session. When I travel I can edit the songs.

The only difference between a laptop and desktop would be the expandability of memory, ram etc. I believe the largest hard drive available for a laptop right now is 160gb, my desktop has over 600gb in it. However, with that said the standard in a quality laptop today is 100gb which should be MORE than enough for recording.
# 2
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/01/2006 7:59 am
Laptops are more convenient, because they're portable.

Desktops are more convenient, because they're powerful.

:)
# 3
ren
ren
08/01/2006 8:09 am
only addition to the above is that laptops are less powerful than desktops generally. The same processor in both would see the desktop run considerably faster...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
08/01/2006 1:38 pm
zreynoldsp this used to be the case however now that centrino started kicking ass and Intel introduced it's core duo's it's pretty damn close. It's not so much the processor at all because laptop processors have been benchmarked at faster than pentium 4 3.4 ghz processors (the 2 ghz Core Duo's).

This does come into play though with bus speeds as laptops create a lot of heat so bus speeds are often limited to 533 Mhz even on the higher end laptops, whereas desktops are going at 1GHz and faster.

The difference between a mac laptop and desktop would be a lot more noticeable than the difference between a pc laptop and desktop - which are pretty similar, because the mac G5's are dual processor, dual core 64-bit and are massive and even at 2.5Ghz they run RISC.

The harddrive issue can be remedied with external firewire hard drives which are dirt cheap, basically just a normal pc harddrive in an enclosure (enclosure = 50 bux, put whatever hard drive you want in there).

The MAIN MAIN MAIN issue in the laptop vs pc debate is that laptops are going to be twice the price (as a general rule). But as Intel has been pumping more money into their portable chipsets (this is the main reason why laptop market hungry Apple signed the contract) laptops are pretty damn awesome in terms of performance.
# 5
ren
ren
08/01/2006 2:33 pm
Sadly, I work with computers when I need to, and no matter how you cut it, Laptops are outperformed by desktops without exception. If you need portabilty, have a laptop, if not have a desktop - the end. Better on price, performance, expansion and maintenance is at least possible for the user. They are also more efficient, and less likely to go wrong in my experience.

Technology is always coming on, but the same CPUs (or derivatives thereof) go in to Laptops and desktops, so improvements in laptops come from the improvements in desktops. Dual core is available in desktops as well, if you're prepared to pay for it.

Now, Macs Vs PCs is different. Macs use the processing power available more efficiently than Windows, so less raw power goes further.

I wouldn't buy a laptop for what it's worth...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/01/2006 4:40 pm
Yeah, laptops are handy for portability but I wouldnt buy one myself - I actually lug my pc around when I have to. The pros for a desktop are all in the hardware, there are limits to soundcards and other hardware add ons that simply arent compatable with laptops. Also, with the speed technology is advancing, a laptop is out of date within 15 months. A pc is much easier to upgrade to keep up with software evolution - the only real constraint is in the motherboard. If you are buying a pc, it's best to go all out and get the fastest processor and most up to date motherboard. I get all of my stuff through Dell, it's cheaper that the shops and the support is great... plus you can customise. Optiplex is a great foundation for a home studio. Unless you go Mac which is more powerfull for production but slightly limited when it comes to VST technology. The ideal studio setup would be a pc for midi, VST's and samplers and a Mac for ProTools... not cheap though
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/01/2006 4:44 pm
For recording, I would take a desktop over a laptop any day. I have a laptop though, because I needed the mobility. My laptop is an HP with a 2Ghz AMD Turion 64 processor, 1Gb of ram, and an 80Gb harddrive. I use a PreSonus Firebox firewire soundcard with it, and have no issues at all... so far. That day will come though, as the software becomes more advanced, and my recording skills increase. lol
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.