Electrocution!!!

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/30/2006 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Ninja's PM to LATSMy Axe is shocking me!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here's a good one. I read up HERE but I don't think this situation applies to me. I'm getting a little shock every so often from the screws on the back cover of the pup selector switch on my LP. Where is this charge coming from? I hardly believe it is my amp at fault since it is fairly new and plugged into a grounded strip. If the wiring in my axe is not grounded properly will this lead to me getting a shock every now and again?

Subsequent PM's:

Originally Posted by Lordathestrings

I think those cover screws only go into the wood of the guitar body. No connection to anything at all. Which leaves static charge buildup as your prime suspect. Rubbing any two insulating materials together will produce a static charge. Sliding Betsy around on your shirt may be striking sparks. I'm guessing its worse in the winter when the air is drier too.

Of course, you have checked your electrical outlet with one of those plug-in-checker gizmos, haven't you? They only cost 5 or 10 bucks, and it can save your life. Look for the kind with 3 lights that tell you whether the outlet is OK. There are fancy versions that also test Ground Fault Interruption outlets.

This should probably have been posted, so everyone could learn from it.

Origionally Posted by Magicninja:

The thing is it's a prolonged sort of shock, kinda like when I was a kid and would put my tounge to a 9v battery to see if there was any juice left. Sometimes the hair on the back of my neck tingles. Your right too, they are only screwed into the body. So I don't get it. The outlet may have problems though this house is older than most in this town, maybe older than you. Also, I guess I should have mentioned but it isn't just the screws that do it. There is a old school metal heater nearby and if my elbow touches it sometimes I get the same sensation. I probably should have made this a thread. Would You object to me starting one and pasting these pm's in it?

Origionally Posted by LATS:

Please do. If your outlets check out (please do tht ASAP!), then your amp falls under suspicion. Does it have a properly installed 3-prong plug, or is it one of those old 2-prong plugs? The old 2-prong plugs were often wired to a switch that connected a 'death cap' capacitor between the chassis and one of the AC lines. If that cap becomes leaky, it can bring the whole amp chassis up to the line voltage! If you're using an old amp with this kind of setup, that cap may be leaking just enough voltage to cause your tingles. If that's the case, get a tech to take that stuff out and correctly install a new power cord with a 3-prong plug.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/30/2006 3:04 pm
The amp is a six month old Line 6 Spider II 15. I don't think the amp could be the problem but I don't know. It hasn't been mishandled or had anything spilled on it or anything. I'm guessing it has to be the outlet. Which if that's the case I really won't worry about getting a shock from Betsy but moreso my house burning down around me. :eek: I guess 50-60 year old wiring probably isn't up to par these days. Could the problem just be the one outlet? I'm gonna get the outlet checker you mentioned to be sure. Thanks LATS.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.