Restoring an old guitar

holy diver
holy diver
07/29/2006 9:27 am
hey, i've got an old acoustic guitar that my aunty gave me that supposedly my grandad made, I'd imagine if he did it was from one of those sets you buy.... but anyway, just for fun, and because it needs doing, i thought i'd kinda sort it out, whether it's worth it i,m not sure, but i've started so i'm gonna finish.. I'm sorted on pretty much all fronts but with the body, quite a few years back it was in a house which had woodworm, well now obviously thats gone but the holes are still there, what should i do about filling them? And I'm going to repaint it (the original colour- i wanna keep it as much the same as possible) but i have no idea what type of paint to use.. any help would be greatly appreciated, also, what is the best way to go about doing the rim bits that you get, like for around the neck, outside of body and f holes? Thanks.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/29/2006 1:43 pm
If the guitar is riddled with worm holes, it may be structurally weakened enough that it will no longer cope with the string tension.

Browse through the >StewMac< website for some books on the subject. They also have lots of tips on luthier techniques and special tools.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
holy diver
holy diver
07/30/2006 9:38 am
cool, thanks.. but it has had strings on it for a long time, and the bridge made the action so pathetically high that when you get to the 12th fret you actually need a g clamp to fret the low e string.... so hopefully it should be able to cope with some more when im done.. but i was wondering if some kind of filler would suit the job?
# 3
holy diver
holy diver
07/30/2006 9:47 am
wow, that site has everything, trust it to be based in bloody america, but i guess if it was over here it would be crap.... Wood filler putty, exactly what I need too..
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.