The baritone or drop-tuned guitar and... the capo!

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
07/27/2006 4:45 am
I usually down-tune and play with really heavy strings (13-56). I also want to get a baritone.

With big fat strings like that, and with things being all low and rumbly and weird... would a capo foul up my tone? I would want to be able to go from B to C to C# to D to Eb, and then (well how about that!) to standard E... all with a whipping of the capo... but I don't want to foul up the sound.

Do capos affect tone in general? I've never used one.

And what capo would stay on best while the guitarist thrashes around on stage like an epileptic in a prison fight, all the while getting jostled by stagedivers, lead singers getting way too frisky on bandmates like Iggy Pop used to do, and other invasive species?

There's this capo type thing for obscenely scaled bass guitars (like, seven, eight... and nine stringers) called "the Buddha's Rope." Invented by and named after Bill "The Buddha" Dickens, known for playing 7 and 9 string bass guitars in ways that make even famous guitar soloists crap their pants. It's more a big fat elastic cable than a capo. With basses like that, the bottom string of a 7 stringer is F# and audible to almost no one if played open... and a 9-stringer has one even lower than that! (I'm too lazy to count.) The Buddha's Rope gives one the benefit of all those extra strings and makes it so that every note is audible to the poor audience and... half the time... to your friggin' self!
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.