Power Metal

despoiler2000
despoiler2000
07/20/2006 5:24 pm
Ive just joined this site recently and was noticing although this is about guitar forums, the selection of "famous bands and artists" didn't actually include any seriously amazing guitarists which I thought was strange so I deided It needed a new Thread. This is the phenomenon known as Power Metal. For all you not-so-n00bs out there that means amazing playing and amazing singing on all fronts. Feel free to discuss what I believe are the best musicians around. Sonata arctica and Dragonforce sticking out in the mind particularly :cool:
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/20/2006 5:42 pm
Yeah I saw Dragonforce at Ozzfest this year. I thought they were good enough to buy thier cd. Pretty good stuff.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
07/20/2006 5:51 pm
..that means amazing playing and amazing singing on all fronts

that's an opinion, don't get me wrong, I do agree that most powermetal bands have amazing songs, fast as well as ballads, but I know some people who think their guitarwork is just plain crap, no feeling to it and only fast-fast-fast (dragonforce for example)

next to that, you can expect the discussion 'what defies powermetal and what bands fit in that genre', there is no answer to it, just opinions

if I were to give one example of power metal it's that almost all songs describe 'higher' things, 'fantasies' or 'myths' etc. I imagine a guy who's singing notes way above the vocal capabilities of a normal man and the guitarwork is fast most of the time, the songs have a lot of energy

typical example of powermetal: Hammerfall, if you go extreme: Dragonforce

I listen a lot to Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Sabaton, Sonata Arctica(favourite), though no Dragonforce (my ex-girl loves the band, used to play it all the time, thnx to me, and since the music brings a lot of memories I don't think I could ever enjoy them as much as I did, besides it drives me crazy after hearing it too much :p)

just my 2 cents
= good music is good drinking =
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/21/2006 7:17 am
The only power metal bands I really like are Iced Earth and Sonata Arctica (good taste, GuitarPsy ;)). Iced Earth were one of the bands who really kick-started the power metal trend, and while I'm not usually a supporter of the "they-did-it-first-therefore-they-do-it-best" theory, I think they have a great feel for the spirit of the genre which many of the younger, more over-the-top acts like Dragonforce and Helloween just don't have. Sonata Arctica are also great - their lyrical style really stands out from other bands in that scene, and their guitarist Jani has more talent in his little finger than Herman and Sam from Dragonforce have put together, IMO.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
07/21/2006 12:45 pm
i do quite like dragon force.

havent heard much else power metal, although my friend did send me this song by luca turilli called the ancient forest of elves. if i ever need laugh i know what song to play, i laughed an laughed. i meen its one thing talskin about slayin dragons but a song about a forest.

its my new feel good song. yah
# 5
polansky
polansky
07/25/2006 2:18 pm
To be honest, Dragonforce for me it's just too much, I feel like I'm hearing Journey or Europe possesed by a metal band.

Technical superior?... yes, very, but if I'm into technical stuff I like to listen someone who doesn't think he is god (maybe John Petrucci, or Lamb of god in the heavy zone is technical enought for all of us).

They have this attitude like "hey, look at me I can play anybody's ass off while having this delicious cold beer", I hate that, you can be as good as you want or can but that can of attitude forget it.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.