View post (12 Strings - Pros & Cons.....)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/19/2001 6:26 am
I wouldn't recommend having a 12-string as your [u]only[/u] guitar. I have been playing them for a lot of years now, but they've always been something to add to the mix. The sound is a bit too rich for a steady diet.

They are a bit more difficult to play than your average 6-string, and some techniques, like bending, are kinda tough on your fingers. George (Leadbelly) Ledbetter played his blues on an old Stella 12-string. The man must have had massive wrists!

Tuning is a bit fussy too. I keep mine tuned down a full tone (D) and have a capo on the neck full-time. Also, the strings are not tuned to exact octaves. I mis-tune the high set just enough to create a slight warble in a held chord. This means a significant amount of fussing about to get the right sound when you're playing along with a piano or synth. The results are worth the effort though. :D

The bottom line is, the 12-string is a beautiful addition to any guitar collection. If you're looking for a first guitar, though, I recommend you get a 6-string this time.

Save the 12-string for later, as a special treat.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons