12 Strings - Pros & Cons.....

Purikah
Purikah
08/11/2001 9:04 pm
Im thinking of buying a good accoustic guitar and I was considering the 12 String. What r the pros and cons ? I know they sound great ......
# 1

08/11/2001 11:03 pm
I think I heard something that 12 strings are always, or usually, tuned down a half step because of the enormous amount of tension created from the strings. I guess if you typically play along with a piano or something other instrument that's standardly tuned, it might be a problem.

Also tuning those things must be quite a bitch...
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/12/2001 9:54 am
They have a much brighter and bigger sound than six strings, which you won't always want. They are also bad for string bends and other blues and rock techniques. I must say that twelve strings are good, but it's probably better to start on a six string.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/19/2001 6:26 am
I wouldn't recommend having a 12-string as your [u]only[/u] guitar. I have been playing them for a lot of years now, but they've always been something to add to the mix. The sound is a bit too rich for a steady diet.

They are a bit more difficult to play than your average 6-string, and some techniques, like bending, are kinda tough on your fingers. George (Leadbelly) Ledbetter played his blues on an old Stella 12-string. The man must have had massive wrists!

Tuning is a bit fussy too. I keep mine tuned down a full tone (D) and have a capo on the neck full-time. Also, the strings are not tuned to exact octaves. I mis-tune the high set just enough to create a slight warble in a held chord. This means a significant amount of fussing about to get the right sound when you're playing along with a piano or synth. The results are worth the effort though. :D

The bottom line is, the 12-string is a beautiful addition to any guitar collection. If you're looking for a first guitar, though, I recommend you get a 6-string this time.

Save the 12-string for later, as a special treat.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Hootayah
Hootayah
08/19/2001 11:24 am
My first guitar was a 12 string & I gotta concur.. it's a great sound but probably not a choice for your only acoustic.
I made the mistake of not tuning down mine & paid for it with a warped bridge and I found that only having a 12 string really delayed my ability to play leads and fingerpick for a few years.
As far as tuning, they're a bit of a pain but not really that hard once you get used to it.
If you're desperate to play leads you can always remove 6 of the strings and use a lighter guage... although the neck is a bit thick.
Other than that the only other thing I can think of is if it's a cheaper model guitar, it'll be hard as hell to play in tune the higher up the neck you go. Barre chords with open strings are the worst.
The good side of things is a 12 string sounds great for just strumming basic chords or doing Beatles tunes... like the lead from Hard Days Night... or a Supertramp song like Give A Little Bit or Even in the Quietest Moment
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.